*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2278003-He-Only-Has-One-Eye-Now-496-words
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Paul
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2278003
He wakes to a whole new world.



I like what I am. I don’t know how I got to be this, but I’m glad it turned out the way it did.

All I remember is the world ending explosion of light and unidentifiable things flying around me that didn’t even have time to become painful before the Big-Blank. That’s how I think of that period of darkness before my eye was opened to the world I view now. I’ve since learned that the “Flash” was me dying from picking the wrong time to stand up to take a picture. I was a free-lance photographer specializing in political figures.

I was taking pictures of the latest addition to our senate race, Jim Stands, a staunch believer in the freedom of choice. He was so profoundly against the Right-Too-Life group and their tactics that they hated him with a passion. Shooting at one of his rallies was always profitable, the rags wanted all those juicy fight-photos. I should have known it would catch up with me.

It was a particularly juicy rally where an abortion clinic had been bombed and burned sending 5 people to the hospital including one expectant mother. They killed her baby then took exception to me pointing out the illogic of killing babies and causing harm to others in defense of their cause to save babies.

The police think the bullet was aimed at Jim Stand, but I think I was the target. The bullet hit me in the center of my skull from behind and wound up imbedded in the camera body. It’s travel through my skull drove much of my brain through my face into the camera too. It also drove whatever “I” am into the camera and somehow the first time the lens cap was removed I could see the world again.

It was another photographer I knew and didn’t like, but he’s pretty good. I approve of most of his shots, he composes well. I heard him and another talking.

“This was his lens?”

“Yeah, it’s been cleaned and checked, it’s good. 100 bucks.”

“How about $50?”

“$75 and it’s yours.”

“Sold. I’ll just tuck it in my bag. Thanks, see ya.” That started our life together and that EF400 Cannon lens cost me $6,000 new.

I don’t think his eyesight is as good as mine though because when he thinks it’s focused, it’s not quite there. I modify the settings slightly to get it perfect and he doesn’t notice me doing it. I find I can also cause him to reframe the shot by defocusing certain areas.

I think this will be a very successful cooperation. We could not do it on our own, but we just won the Sony awards in the professional competition. Something every photographer in the world wants. Well, most of the ones I’ve known do. Now I hear him mumbling about the Hasselblad Awards for next year and that’s the Oscars for taking photographs.

I think we have a good chance.


© Copyright 2022 Paul (lasardaddy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2278003-He-Only-Has-One-Eye-Now-496-words