*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2278923-Killer-Cake
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2278923
What could possibly go wrong at a b-day party?
The extravagant, multi-tiered cake was wheeled out on a massive silver cart. Five tiers, dripping with soft yellow buttercream icing, bejeweled with edible glitter and gold. Vividly colored flowers made with royal icing climbed up the layers. On top of the cake blazed 40 birthday candles.

The people gathered fell silent as they surrounded the cake. Mark, Johnathan's best friend who planned the party, spoke.

"Not easy to pull off a surprise party this size for a man who has everything. Johnathan, please join me up here as we sing Happy Birthday and blow out your candles."

Johnathan blew out the candles in two huge puffs. After a few minutes everyone's cheers and whistles tapered off and an uncertain silence fell over the room.

"Am I the only one excited to cut into this monster cake?" Johnathon asked as he picked up the serrated knife laying on the cart next to the cake. Mark put a hand over Johnathan's arm to stop him.

Something was very wrong. To Johnathan's surprise, Mark rapped loudly on the table " Come on out now!" Nothing happened and soft murmurs from people nearby added to the tension. Suddenly, two staff from the catering company rushed over with a step stool and began quickly removing the top layer of the cake and one shouted to call for an ambulance.
*Witch*
Johnathan turned to Mark and demanded to know what was going on. Mark looked horrified and backed a few steps away from his friend. "Susan and I thought it would be a great surprise to have a beautiful woman pop out of your cake just as you blew out the candles," Mark explained nervously.

One look at the woman as she was pulled from the cake had Johnathan trembling.

"Oh my god!" He choked out as he rushed to the woman and pulled his wife into his arms. "What the hell?" He glared at Mark, his expression demanding answers.

" I called and found out she planned to be home in time for your party. So, I talked her into being the woman to hide in the cake." Mark stuttered and mumbled.

"Exactly what kind of cake is this?" Johnathan demanded.

"It is a hummingbird cake, sir," said the woman nearest him.

"Did it have any kind of nut in it?"

"Yes, it had pecans in it." Johnathan turned to Mark.

"Did you know it had nuts in it? He demanded. Mark looked even more confused.

"Yes, of course," Mark mumbled.

"Maggie is deathly allergic to all types of nuts!" Johnathan screamed. "Did she know there were nuts in this cake?"

Before Mark could answer, the EMTs burst through the doors and rushed to Maggie. She was pronounced DOA. Instead of celebrating, his night was filled with many questions by the police.



Prompt & Word Count

© Copyright 2022 Shadow Prowler-Spreading Love (wordgeek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2278923-Killer-Cake