*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282564-Talking
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2282564
Flash Fiction
Talking

“What happened?” Jean asked Carolyn, finding her sitting on the bench, crying.

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

Relieved, because she didn’t want to talk about whatever it was either, but felt obligated to ask, Jean sat down and said, “So... are we still going shopping? Or do you want to go another time...”

“I wasn’t expecting this...” Carolyn said.

Jean cringed. Apparently the ‘I don’t want to talk about it’ was iffy... So, she did her duty asking, “Is it James?”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Carolyn said, even more sternly than the first time.

Because Jean was already sitting on the bench, so she couldn’t quietly slip away, she was stuck and had to go forward with the drama. “Maybe it would make you feel better to talk about it, whatever it is,” she said, softly.

Carolyn looked up, teary eyed, and then said, “You wouldn’t understand.”

Well! This hit Jean right in the ego! She wouldn’t understand? Why not! She was human, she had issues! Did Carolyn think she was too naive to understand whatever it was, likely a boy, likely James, as if she never had a crush, or a date, or a boyfriend who went astray! Well!

“Oh...” she finally said, quietly, but she didn’t mean it! “Well, I need to get back...” she added, standing up, trying not to roll her eyes, trying to escape.

“My cat died...” Carolyn said, quietly.

Jane really hadn’t had a boyfriend, but she did have a cat. She burst into tears too, at the very thought of losing Muffins.

The girls stayed best friends for the rest of their long and eventful lives. They eventually bought and co-owned a cat sanctuary.

And they always talked, about everything, driving, everyone, including their future husbands, crazy.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282564-Talking