*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282638-Andrea-Smiled
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2282638
Flash Fiction
Andrea Smiled

Andrea put a dish down in front of her granddaughter Susie. She had gotten her unexpectedly today because her mother had been called into work unexpectedly. Apparently, the woman, who usually works on Tuesday’s unexpectedly went into labor. Gramma was not prepared with fun food.

Susie looked at the bowl, “I don’t like this.”

“Do you know what it is?” Andrea asked, a tad surprised at such an instant decision.

“No, but I do know I don’t like it.”

“How can you know that if you don’t even know what it is?”

“Because it has lumps. I don’t like lumps in my food.”

“Well, this isn’t food exactly, it’s dessert!”

“You can’t have dessert for breakfast,” Susie said.

“Who says?”

“Mom... everybody.”

“Well not everybody, I never said it.”

“Did you feed Mom dessert for breakfast when she was a kid?”

“Never! But Great Gramma Alice served me dessert for breakfast. I don’t think it’s legal until you’re a grandmother.”

“Oh! Well, it still has lumps...”

“Yes, but they’re yummy lumps. They’re sugar lumps. You like sugar, don’t you?”

“Ooh yes!” she took a big spoonful and stuck it in her mouth. “The sugar tastes different, but I like it!!” she said as she took another spoonful.

Andrea watched Susie eating the oatmeal. The same trick Gramma Alice had played on her when she was a child and she didn’t like the lumps. Just that extra spoonful of sugar made all the difference. The spoonful no actual mother would try. She certainly never tried it on Susie’s mom, of course, because you would never trick a child into eating something by adding sugar! Until you’re a grand, that is, and you know from experience a little extra sugar wouldn’t hurt a fly. Andrea smiled, life was good.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282638-Andrea-Smiled