*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282684-How-it-Worked
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2282684
Flash Fiction
How it Worked

“Excuse me I need to get by...” said a voice from behind me.

I’d been waiting in line forever trying to get tickets to the next show, I was not in the mood for someone to cut in front of me. I turned and looked at the talker, without actually getting out of the way.

The talker was a guy, kinda cute too, but still, twenty minutes! “You’ll need to wait in line like everyone else,” I said, somewhat sternly.

“No, I’m not after a ticket! I need to give the cashier some money. She sent me to the bank for ones.”

“Nice story, I don’t believe you.”

“I’ll prove it,” he said. Then he yelled over my head, “Sandra! Sandra!” she looked up and waved.

“See!” he said, “she’s waiting for me to bring her the ones.”

She did look back up once, apparently waiting for him to get there. I gave in. Off he went, “excuse me”-ing up the line in front of me. I saw him get to the window and pull some cash out of his pocket. I guess he was legit.

About ten minutes later I finally got to the window, just as it closed. Literally, the person in front of me got the last ticket. “So sorry!” said the cashier to me and the straggle of people behind me. We all started wandering off.

Just then, that guy showed up. That same guy! “I still didn’t get a ticket,” I said, disappointedly.

“That’s OK, I got you one!” he said, handing me a ticket. “It’s the least I could do,” and off he went.

However, when I sat down at the show, guess who was sitting right next to me. And he’s been sitting next to me still, for the last forty-two years.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282684-How-it-Worked