*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282967-The-Extra-Walk-Day
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2282967
Flash Fiction
The Extra Walk Day

Walking my dog, for the thousandth time, as impatiently bored as every day when I walked the dog. I love my dog, I just don’t love walking out in public. Unfortunately living in a small second floor apartment, it is required.

I’ve gone around our block in each direction a zillion times. Neither way is better, I let Molly pick the direction, usually it involves a smell, or a squirrel or something. There are small alleys between the buildings so squirrels come by, and rats, though rats are sneakier.

This day Molly bolted left, as soon as we hit the sidewalk. Even squirrels aren’t that exciting, it made me nervous as to what she was sniffing. She was actually pulling me by the time we reached the alley.

Holding her close, just in case, I peeked around the corner. I couldn’t see anyone, not even scurrying squirrels. Molly was still pulling at the leash though, so I thought I’d check a little ways in. As we got to the first trash container, Molly, a few feet ahead of me now, started wagging her tail like an idiot!

I rushed up and there on the other side of the trash container, sitting on the ground, was a small child. “What are you doing here?” I said automatically. He stood up and came to me as if I were his grandmother! I took him in my arms, because what else was I going to do? Pulling out my phone I called the police.

Seems they’d been looking for him for an hour! They came to me, bringing his grateful, crying mother. And I got my picture on the front page of the Gazette!

Of course, I made sure Molly was in the picture too, plus, she got an extra walk that day!
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282967-The-Extra-Walk-Day