*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283955-Halloween-remembered
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Community · #2283955
Halloween and its effects in days gone by
Some Halloweens are worth remembering.
Many years ago we lived in St. Claire Shores, Michigan. Our house was in a brand new addition next to a number of older homes from the thirties and forties. Our neighborhood was mostly Sicilian with a smattering of Polish, German, and Irish. When Halloween came around our street had traffic stopped after six o'clock, and all us kids were allowed to cross anywhere up and down the block. Every house had their porchlight on and everybody brought home full grocery bags of candy. I loved Halloween. That didn't change much when we moved to our little town here in Indiana. I dressed up as a vampire and had the lights in the living room turned down, with candles on the fireplace mantle. Our dining room was directly behind the living room through an archway, and that's where I waited for the first trick or treaters to come to the door. Our front porch was L shaped and the front door was at the end of the long part from the street. From my viewpoint I could see out but the kids couldn't see me in the dark dining room.
The first trick or treaters were two little girls about four and six. they were dressed like little princesses. The oldest knocked on the storm door, as I had the wood door open. I stepped out, spread my cape, and bared my fangs. The little princess did a double take let go of her candy bag and was off the porch before it hit the floor. I've never seen a little kid run so fast. I came to the door and the little girl was climbing up her mother's leg.
I called her back and said I didn't mean for her to be so scared; I was just enjoying Halloween as much as she was. As it turned out our house was the most visited that year. We continued our Halloween House and improved it for as long as we lived in town.
© Copyright 2022 parable (seniorcit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283955-Halloween-remembered