*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284036-Man-of-the-Forest
Rated: E · Article · Community · #2284036
Catching Orangutans old School
Long ago I read this story about how New Guinea natives used to catch orangutans, and how it may very well describe our stature in today's economic society.
Orangutan means, ' Man of the Forest ', and it suits the ape's persona. They are extremely intelligent, and have their own way of doing things. this was why, at the time, they were prized specimens for zoos. Such was the case when a hunter came across a beautiful male orangutan, and asked how he was caught. The natives said they learned his habits, and targeted his movements.
An Orangutan has one tree in the forest that's his home. He will stay in it for most of the day until he feeds or needs water. Then he'll come down and go to the nearest stream for a drink. The natives noticed this and the next day brought a bucket of water, and sat it down at the base of the ape's tree. they went away and the orangutan came down, tipped the bucket out and went to get his water at the stream. Undaunted, the natives brought another bucket of water the next day at the same time and laid it at the base of the tree. Again, the ape poured the water out and went to the stream. But, on the third day, the orangutan took a sip of the water and poured it out. By the end of the week the ape began to drink the bucket of water every day. That's when the natives put just a dab of gin in the water so the ape wouldn't taste it. They increased the dosage a little each day until they filled the bucket entirely with gin. The ape drank it all, fell into a stupor and woke up in a cage.
To analogize it into today's world economy, we as Americans are the orangutan in the tree. It's our home and we've gone to great lengths to preserve it. But, our greed will be our downfall if we continue to farm out products to other countries and put people out of work. Buying from foreign manufacturers weakens our economy. The others are of course the natives, and they see our dependance for cheap products. They also buy into our economy with federal reserve notes in the billions, and demand the interest back in gold, thereby depleting our supply and weakening our monetary value.
It may not be very long before we have the bucket of gin at the base of our tree.
© Copyright 2022 parable (seniorcit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284036-Man-of-the-Forest