*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283982-Laughing-all-the-Way
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2283982
Flash Fiction
Laughing all the Way

“You look familiar.”

The voice came from someone, almost behind me, coming up the path. I’d been sitting on the bench for a while. My first thought, ‘he can’t even see my face...’ a scammer. I wasn’t born yesterday, and I didn’t make it into my seventies by falling for scammers!

“Oh?’ I said, looking up at the man as he sat down on the other end of the bench. Not too close, but close enough for me to tighten my grip on my purse.

“Yes, I’m sure of it. You aren’t from here, are you?

Odd start, but true. “No, I’m not.” But I didn’t offer more, let him sweat a bit.

“Let me see...” he looked me up and down, “I’m pretty sure I know you but from a long time ago. Have you ever lived in Engelbart?”

“No, sorry. I must just look like someone else you knew...” I was getting uncomfortable under his scrutiny. Even though I was sure it was still a scam, I just couldn’t figure out what. I obviously didn’t have much money, sitting in the park, mid-day, in my shabby, but comfortable clothes.

Suddenly he got a look in his eyes, something was coming. I tightened the grip on my purse.

“Did you live in Franklin as a child?”

Good gravy, I did! “Yes. you?”

“Class of sixty-six, Franklin High School.”

“Me too!” I looked at him, and he looked at me. “You’re Alice Jenkins!”

“I was then... and you’re Tommy Kane, right?”

“Absolutely! I knew I knew you!”

And then the very next words that came out of his mouth, “Do you have any interest in a time share, retirement, vacation cabin in Florida?”

“Well,” I said, “You certainly haven’t changed...”

And then I laughed, all the way home.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283982-Laughing-all-the-Way