*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286420-A-Letter-from-E-Augustus
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2286420
Flanders: Chapter 3.5
This is a work of fiction. It is not a reflection of the views of the author and should not be treated as a source of historical information

From Letters Home, A Collection of Personal Correspondence from Soldiers and Officers of the 1st Combined Arms Corps (English Edition) by Ella Augustus

Dear Mother,
On the morning of September 4th, we departed for the Husarian border by way of the Einheitsbahn Ost. We arrived that afternoon in a little village called Springtime (On the map, I believe it’s some two hundred-or-so miles from Walburg).
General Harriet Doolittle believes that she and her army shall achieve their objectives before the month’s end. Her leading officer, Colonel Duncan Finch, expects the war’s end to come sooner. For now, however, the army has set up their camp in a field on the western bank of the River Neu.
Doolittle and her closest officers remained in their train car for the night.
From the time we arrived in Springtime to the time that I am writing this letter (I don’t have a clock near me, but it’s completely dark and I haven’t heard another train come through in quite some time), a steady procession of refugees has been fleeing westward across the border. I would give anything to interview just one of those men or women, but their faces tell more than any words could.
It has only been a day, and I already miss home. I miss it all: I miss your cooking and stories, and I miss Dad’s lectures and advice. I love you. Tell Dad that I love him too. If Liam and Tyler aren’t being horrible, tell them that I also love them.
Whether it’s in a few days or a few months, I hope that I can return home and tell the world what I’ve seen on the front lines.
Your Daughter,
Ella L. Augustus

© Copyright 2022 Rutidon (retrocaboose at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286420-A-Letter-from-E-Augustus