*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286641-Appreciating-the-small-things
Rated: E · Editorial · Community · #2286641
What happens after a major injury
On November 1, 2022 I fell and broke my neck in three places. I was rushed to hospital and spent the next five weeks in treatment and rehab. I was lucky that I wasn't paralyzed. It was while I was in rehab that I began to appreciate simple tasks and every day things I've taken for granted.
The simple act of getting out of bed now involved pain and effort that seemed out of proportion. Eating a meal sitting up took three weeks to accomplish, and many other common activities, like going to the bathroom, were goals I had to re-accomplish. I used to walk around my house without a care. Now, I'm proud to do it, and grateful to God for sparing me my mobility.
I'm home now; wearing a collar and using a walker since I'm still a little wobbly. The whole time I was in therapy I pushed myself to get going. My neurologist told me to pace myself, which I was forced to do when my pain medicine couldn't handle the job. I made each therapy session a challenge and encouraged other patients to do their best. I started playing word games with the staff, like, can you say a phrase from a movie and everyone was to guess which movie, example: " I bet she's still got that silver dollar ". Answer: The Last Picture Show . It took the drudgery out of the exercises. I sang songs and made jokes. Why? Because I was grateful I was still alive.
The accident changed my life, as many such events do. I've become appreciative of little things: a home cooked meal, a favorite song, watching a sunrise. or sunset. I made a vow when I started my therapy to push the envelope and make good on everything I did. I made it count in my mind. Telling about it to you, reader, makes me feel good.
© Copyright 2022 parable (seniorcit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286641-Appreciating-the-small-things