*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286546-Awakening-Old-Memories
Rated: E · Article · Experience · #2286546
Being awakened by the smell of Breakfast cooking
This morning I awoke to an old familiar memory; The aroma of fresh coffee, and bacon frying. Those delicious smells brought back memories of when I was four, and we lived on a farm. The farm wasn't very big; roughly 100 acres, and we had four milk cows, some pigs, and chickens. I shared the upstairs bedroom with my older brother, and every morning Dad would rouse him up at 4:30 to help milk the cows. I was always wakened to my brother's protests, but soon drifted off for about another hour. It was then that Mom got up to start breakfast. In about thirty minutes the wonderful aromas of biscuits, ham, sausage, or bacon and coffee percolating wafted up to me. I would dress and hurry downstairs.
We all convened at our battered old wooden table: Mom at one end, Dad at the other, My brother, Kenny, on one side and my sister, Cynnie, next to him. I sat on the other side and we would dig in: Fresh biscuits with home made butter and jam, potatoes fried with onions, and eggs and breakfast meat, all washed down with fresh milk. It was always during the course of our meal together that inevitably a glass of milk would be spilled; promptly sending Mom into a frenzy of mopping it up with a dish towel before it hit the floor. She always said the same thing as she wiped. " You kids have spilled enough milk to float a battleship !!! "
I didn't spill my milk, but I was tempted.
© Copyright 2022 parable (seniorcit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286546-Awakening-Old-Memories