*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287302-Candy-Cane-Murder
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2287302
When a murder turns into a lifetime of crime. Short story idea I want to expand on.
December 24th 1996 was a blizzard no one forgot. Especially for Johnny Stacks. Back then Johnny was 12 waiting for his father to get home on Christmas Eve.
He was in the kitchen baking cookies with his mother when they got the news. A knock on the door interrupted their playful fight with cookie dough.
Johnny’s mother wiped the mess off her face and answered the door. It was the police!
“Mrs. Stacks” they asked uncomfortably?
She nods.
“Yes” she answered.
The officers proceed to explain that there is a man matching her husband’s description that was murdered. He is at St. Francis’s Hospital and she needs to identify the body.
With no baby sitter she had to take Johnny with her. They are directed downstairs to the morgue. The first thing Johnny remembers from that night is COLD.
His mother sits him down in a chair out in the hallway as she follows pathologist. It felt like a lifetime walking over to the table. He lifts the sheet revealing a large hole in his neck. She falls to the ground upset and in shock seeing her husband like that.
Hearing his mother’s cries he runs through the doors and he witnesses the pathologist trying to console his mother who is uncontrollably crying and beat red on the floor. The cops realize Johnny was in the room and hurried to escort him out but not before he saw him.
His father laying on the slab lifeless with the biggest hole in his neck and blood all over the white sheets. Which scarred him for life. An hour later now in control of her emotions Johnny’s mother was talking to the cops.
“So, um. I need to know. What happened to him”?
The officers looked at each other and mutually agreed.
“Technically we are not officially allowed to state what happened until our report is out but it’s Christmas and this has been an unfortunate set of events.”
They didn’t know but Johnny was listening around the corner.
“Ah. Mr. Stacks stopped at the ATM on the corner of B St and Erie Ave. Unbelievably, an escaped patient from Westmorland Psychiatric Center was in a drugged crazed rage and stabbed your husband in the neck with a sharpened candy cane”.
The officer put his hand on her shoulder gave her a slight smile and they left her to process the information. On the other side of things Johnny processed the information different.
15 years later Johnny Stacks became a man you fear. He acted out and got in so much trouble that it stressed his mother out to an early grave. By 18 Johnny was a known drug dealer who police could never touch.
Word got around how his father passed away and people tried to use that as a weakness but now he uses it as a trademark. He leaves his candy canes in his victims necks for cops to find.
The cops that was on his fathers case years ago knows it’s him but they don’t have proof.

His code name is SANTA CLAUS

Now he has the FBI on his case. It’s been 15 years and another blizzard is on its way to the city. Will the lead on the case finally break it taking down Johnny Stacks operation for good. Or will it run cold.



© Copyright 2022 Kerr Cole (ghostwriter003 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287302-Candy-Cane-Murder