*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288878-Humphrey
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #2288878
A cool early start
Warmth.
Wrapped around a cocoon of warmth, that’s how I first woke up this morning. The fuzziness of sleep was quickly shrugged off, I could still smell Ellie on the sheets; it was comforting and would have lulled me back to sleep had she still been there. I missed her presence; it may have been only a few minutes but it felt wrong not having her there. I shifted the heavy blanket from my still tired body, there was something in my being telling me I was needed. The surprisingly cold hard wooden floors were a shock to my feet, it was invigorating and took the edge off my weariness.

I could hear her even from here boiling water, the scent of coffee hit my nose as I padded towards the lounge room; I was not a fan of the stuff but Ellie seems to enjoy it so I cannot complain about something she clearly loves. As I entered the lounge she had just set her coffee mug down, it looked like even though there was a slight chill in the air Ellie seemed comfortable wearing her darkish grey dressing gown. She just sat on the lounge with her drink, steam merrily wafting from the mug like a gentle sort of dance that would be mesmorising had I not heard a mournful sniff.

I knew I was needed, Ellie had just suffered a loss of a companion not long ago and I knew I would need to do what I do best. I sat next to her, shocking her a bit but her strained face eased as she saw me next to her. I did not need to do anything, just be there for her. Her eyes watered a bit but she quickly wiped her tears away only to embrace me around my collar. After all, whats a dog supposed to do but bring joy to their human. I am Humphry, and Ellie is my human.
© Copyright 2023 TaeBelle (taebelle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288878-Humphrey