*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290213-Shattered-Silence
Rated: 13+ · Poetry · Dark · #2290213
A poem about a broken heart
I’ve always wondered if a heart made a noise when it shattered.
I feel like soul crippling pain would carry some sort of volume.
Does it sound like the shower running, water pouring down your face until you cannot define tears from tap?
I wonder if it sounds like your palms slamming your steering wheel, begging the universe for answers.
I wonder if it sounds like the crunching of gravel as a longtime lover rolls away for the last time, leaving you lonely and broken.
Does it sound like the raspy scream of an old church hymnal into the night sky, begging God to either show or take you?
Does it sound like that familiar unzipping of jeans and the belt hitting the floor just before a man shows you all you are worth?
I wonder if it sounds like a circle of gaslit arguments.
You know those you are always the loser in?
I wonder if it sounds like the breathless whimper of an unsure prayer from a closet, begging for it all to stop.
I wonder if it sounds like a lost child, begging to be found by the family that will never love it.
It must sound like the sting of skin, when he would slap me for not listening or not being his little princess.
If it does not sound like that then it has to sound like a goodbye from the person you least expected to leave you when they told you they never would.
Maybe it actually sounds like the fucking internal bullying that you wake up to every god damn day for the rest of your life.
Who gives a shit about what it sounds like when no one even sees your apparent blood trails following behind you as you walk?
There will never be an answer to this question because the sound of a broken heart is silence.
© Copyright 2023 SaltybutCutee (saltybutcutee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290213-Shattered-Silence