*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290227-With-John
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2290227
Flash Fiction
With John

The stupid vine was up the chimney, again! I told my husband, John, not to plant it there. He said, “But, wouldn’t it look nice, a dark green vine growing up that chimney?” Well, yes, for about twenty years.

Unfortunately, the vine also got wider, and much taller, and hard to control. We found out lighting a fire in our fireplace and having the entire room fill with smoke! The plant had conquered!

My husband was gung ho, now, to keep it in check. But he still loved the look, so only trimmed it to “in check” not “fixed.” Every year, we had to get it “in check” again, plus it still got wider and wider.

I’d had it! I decided to chop it back severely while my husband was at work. Once done, he could grow it back. It would take years, I thought, as I felt a sneaky smile sneak out.

Out came the ladder and the saw. I was determined! However, not experienced. As I got up there, I was a bit surprised at how high I was. I’d put the ladder in a hole near the chimney, but as I looked down all I saw was green. Panic set in.

We didn’t have cell phones then. I stood there, holding on to the ladder for dear life, for four hours and sixteen minutes before my husband got home from work! And another five, as he rescued me, trying not to laugh the whole time.

After my husband passed away, I eventually sold our house. The new buyers just loved the vine. I kept my mouth shut… let them work it out. After all, the vine incident has become a very precious memory to me of the most wonderful part of my life, my time with John.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290227-With-John