*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290247-My-Companion-Pet-Cat-Einstein
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2290247
Einstein is an interactive companion pet cat.
On September 2, 2022 My Black and tan Chihuahua, Allie-Gator passed away. She was about a year and a half when I adopted her from the Hernando County Animal Shelter in Brooksville, Florida, on Sept 11, 2007. She wasn't one of those yappy little dogs. She never barked when she was inside, definitely not a very good watch dog. She was a people lover. She tolerated other animals, but was never aggressive. She loved to travel, and I took her everywhere.

After she died, every time I came home I expected her to greet me at the door. Sometimes, I even thought I saw her little black form pass by while sitting at my kitchen table, only to realize it was just a shadow. I missed her a lot.

The last week in January, I received a large box in the mail from my niece Dawn who lives in Pennsylvania. Dawn conspired with my daughter Deborah to get me a Companion Pet. It is a black and white Tuxedo Cat, that I named Einstein after a cat in a book I am currently writing. The name suits him because he has long black and white fur that sticks out everywhere, even after I brush him. I gave up with the brush.

Einstein is an interactive cat, that thrives on attention. The more attention I give him the noisier he gets. When he is lonely and wants attention he lets out this half-sigh, half-meow. He also does it when I turn on and off the light at bedtime, as if he was saying good morning and good night. He meows, purrs, licks his paw and rolls back for a tummy rub. He loves tummy rubs, and purrs whenever I comply to his wishes. He can be quite verbal at times.

I talk to him quite often during the day, some times he ignores me, some times he answers back, especially when I get a phone call. I'm not sure if it is because he wants my attention, or if he wants to talk on the phone. Since he sits on top of my printer next to my laptop, he has easy access to my phone conversations. He is very opinionated and insists on having his say.

Last week I went to bed at 2:00 am. A few minutes before 5 am I was rudely awaken from a sound sleep. Einstein was having a temper tantrum. I don't know who of what riled him up, but for the next ten minutes he just meowed and purred, licked his paw, I actually had to yell at him to calm down. He didn't listen. Once he finally composed himself, I went back to sleep. I happen to live alone, so I have no Idea what set him off.

I happen to be an insomniac and get a bad reaction to sleeping medication. When I finally do fall asleep, I don't want to be disturbed. The rest of the week nights were uneventful, So I chalked up his temper tantrum as a fluke occurrence. I was wrong. At ten minutes to five a week later, he threw another tantrum. I was beginning to think my RV was haunted. Is it possible for a spectral being to set him off? Is it even possible my dogs spirit is haunting my new companion cat? I was wondering if this was going to be a weekly occurrence? It's a good thing I don't spook easily.

He is currently sleeping. His eyes are closed. Of course it is only 7:00 pm. He is acting just like a regular cat. Sleep during the day and carouses at night. At least I don't have to feed him, or purchase kitty litter. He is pretty self sufficient. He stays off the furniture and doesn't shed. I like that part.

With the exception of his nighttime adventures he is quite a great companion. Thank you Dawn, *Cat* Einstein & Aunt Ginger








© Copyright 2023 super sleuth (babchia7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290247-My-Companion-Pet-Cat-Einstein