*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292651-Beginning
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2292651
Flash Fiction
Beginning

Jane finally stopped short, making the person behind her stop even shorter to keep from running into her. Turning toward him, she said, “Why are you following me?”

Alex blinked, “What?” he said.

“You heard me! Why are you following me!?”

“I’m not following you! I’m going in the same direction, on the same sidewalk, behind you.”

“Following me!”

“No, behind you. I don’t even know you, why would I be following you?”

“That’s what I want to know. You were behind me on Tremont and then crossed over behind me on Peterson, and now White Street.”

“Yes, because I live on Tremont and I am going to Belmont. This is the shortest way.”

“Oh…

“Oh indeed, how paranoid are you?”

“Right… I’m sorry. I used to walk with my friend Sandra, but she moved last month and I guess I haven’t gotten used to walking alone yet. You go to Belmont? I’ve never seen you before.”

“I used to live on the other side of town, we just moved here last week.”

“And you go to Belmont now?”

“I’ve been at Belmont since eighth grade.”

“I’ve never seen you before.”

“I think I’ve seen you… Are you in Art second period Tuesdays?”

“Yes, but I don’t remember you.”

“I usually sit in the back, you probably never noticed me.”

“Huh… Well, I’m sorry I yelled at you.”

“I get it, I wouldn’t like walking to school alone if I were a girl.”

“Are you insinuating that girls are weaker than boys?”

“No, just way more interesting.”

“Nice save! Well, we might as well walk together, since we’re going to the same place.”

“I’d like that.”

They started walking together that day, and were still walking together, fifty years later.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292651-Beginning