*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293330-Music
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2293330
Flash Fiction
Music

“Where is that music coming from?” Andrea asked, tipping her head sideways.

“I don’t hear any music, Hon. But, you’ve always had better hearing than me. Do you think it’s outside? I could go out and see. Is it bothering you?” asked her husband Teddy.

“No, no. It’s actually kind of sweet. And you’re right, it’s very soft.”

“You didn’t eat much of your breakfast Hon…was it alright? Or, do you want something else?”

“No, it was fine. I just wasn’t very hungry this morning, you know that happens.”

“Yeah, just checking. I’m not the best cook, I know that.”

“You’ve gotten a lot better over the last couple years.”

“Thanks! That’s quite a complement from you.”

“I know I was really pushy when you started cooking. I’m sorry. But it was more because I wished I could be the cook, than that I was judging your cooking…”

“Oh really… I remember a few comments…” he laughed softly. “Ah, Hon, what’s up. You seem distracted.”

“I’m sorry, it’s that music.”

“I’ll go find it, and ask them to stop…”

“No. I like it. It’s very soothing. It’s almost as if it was coming from my mind rather than in my ears. Probably because it’s so soft, huh.”

“Maybe. How about I let you listen while I take this tray away.”

“OK, Hon. Love you. I’ll see you in a while…”

When he came back, he stopped at the doorway to listen, but still couldn’t hear music. Now he felt even more sure it was playing in her mind. As he walked to the bed, sitting down next to his wife of forty-seven years, he knew immediately, something had changed. Taking her hand, tenderly, as she lay there, quiet, eyes closed, but still smiling, he knew what. She was finally free.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293330-Music