*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293405-Introverts
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2293405
Flash Fiction
Introverts

Taking the ferry to work everyday probably sounds romantic, adventurous, something exciting to do. In reality, it’s cold or crowded, depending on where you are and what the weather is. Cold and rainy, everyone crowds inside, lovely, everyone crowds the decks. I always watch the weather before I head off to the boat because if it’s cold or raining I need to be dressed for outside. I’m not a crowd person.

Today it was lovely out, so I was in. There were others, I assume they’re like me. We don’t bother each other. I was off in fantasy land as usual. My distraction from my boring life. I was imagining myself as a captive in this boat. Stolen from my castle, being held for ransom from my wealthy uncle, who, of course was a terrible person, and reluctant to pay.

“If you’re too warm, you could go out on the deck,” a man nearby said. I almost thought he was crazy, until I realized I had been waving my newspaper back and forth pretending it was a fan. Then I was just embarrassed. “Oh no, I was just thinking too hard,” I said, then getting more embarrassed!

He chuckled. A tiny snicker, and his face turned a bit pink too. “I know that kind of thinking,” he said, “I’ve been caught doing that many times myself. I’m sorry I interrupted you,” and he walked away, still smiling.

I watched this total stranger walk over and sit back down. A beautiful view from outside, though crowded, made me wonder if he was like me. Introverted, hiding from other people… and yet he worried about me, that I was too warm.

I got up and introduced myself, beyond bold for me. We began chatting. And, my whole life changed, his did too.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293405-Introverts