*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294245-Twins
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2294245
Flash Fiction
Twins

Twins Ted and Max spent a lot of time trying to please their parents, but still, almost more time getting in trouble. They just didn’t seem to think the same way as their parents.

For instance: “I have a plan.”

“Great, what is it?”

“It’s not quite finished yet.”

“But you are going to figure out, right?”

“Absolutely! Just a few wrinkles.”

“We only have minutes!”

“I know! We’ll say a burglar stole the candy.”

“What would a burglar want candy for?”

“Exactly, so it has to be a burglary, then on the way out, the burglar stole our candy, on a whim.”

“Yeah, he saw the candy!”

“Right!”

“So, what’s the wrinkle?”

“Stuff that’s something a burglar would steal.”

“Oh, yeah. Well, that statue on the mantle that Mom loves.”

“I made that when we were four!”

“Oh, I always wondered why everybody like it…Well, we need expensive things.”

“Like?”

“Mom’s jewelry box!”

“OK! Then what do we do with it? If they find it they’ll know we ate the candy.”

“We’ll hide it good… bury it in the back yard!”

Off they went.

The theft was reported, but never solved.

Twenty-eight years later, Mom and Dad sold the house.

The Henderson’s were very excited about their new house, and the first thing they was did arrange for a swimming pool to be installed in the back yard. When the jewelry box was found, Janice was standing right there watching and they handed it to her. It was full of old somewhat worthless jewelry, and a number of papers. Because Mom and Dad were on a cruise, Ted, was called and he came and picked up the box.

Curious he opened it. It contained adoption papers for him and Max.

Suddenly their whole to life started to make sense.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294245-Twins