*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294339-Paul-Fainted
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2294339
Flash Fiction
Paul Fainted

“Thank you, thank you!” Lili said, grabbing Ted with a hug.

“For what?” he asked, confused.

“Come on! I know it was from you.”

“I don’t think so… what exactly is ‘it.’”

“You know, stop acting like you don’t even know what I’m talking about.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…”

“You are adorable!” she kissed his cheek and ran off.

“What was that all about?” Rick asked, walking up with Paul.

“She thinks I gave her something, I didn’t.”

“So, take the credit! She’s happy and it didn’t cost you anything!”

“But I didn’t do it?”

“So, whoever did it probably isn’t rushing over and tell her, and even if they do, you told her it wasn’t you, you’re covered!”

“Yeah, I guess so. Maybe I’ll ask her out!” off they walked.

Paul stood there watching Lili running across the field to show her friends. The necklace, that he, himself, had actually given her, but didn’t sign his name to because he was too shy.

That was ten years ago. Today Paul was standing in line getting on a bus. As he looked up, there was a woman running across the street, waving her hands to get the bus. Paul stood at the door and held it open as she rushed in. It was Lili.

“Hey, I know you!” she said, “Paul, right?”

“Yes,” he said quietly, hoping his heartbeat couldn’t be heard through his shirt.

“You hung out with Ted,” she added, “I was just at Ted’s wedding last week, he married my friend Ann! Are you married?”

“No,” he mumbled.

The smile on her face was as bright as the gleam of the necklace she was wearing. The one she thought Ted gave her, ten years ago.

“Me neither…!” she said, smiling even more.

Paul fainted.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294339-Paul-Fainted