*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296413-Condemned
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Death · #2296413
Sometimes, things work out better than planned.
They sat in the clearing, around the pit. As I approach I can't help but notice the empty spot in the otherwise perfectly equal distance between each of them. They always did things that way- precise. To an outsider they would seem obsessive, but it really just came naturally to them. It's almost unsettling to see such a clear gap in the perfect pattern.

I don't know why I'm here. As I enter the circle, standing in the empty spot, I can feel their eyes on me- accusing, judging. Like I have no right to be here. Like they aren't the ones to blame. I refuse to look at them, maybe because to do so would be to acknowledge the truth in their accusations. Maybe because looking at the pain in their eyes would force me to admit to myself the guilt that's embedded itself into my soul, immovable even through death. Or maybe because they simply don't deserve the privilege of seeing how truly strong I have become, how uncontrollable. Pushing any guilt I may have felt aside, I sit down in the spot, the same as them, and make a show of getting comfortable.

"It's a shame, really, how things turned out." I say, as if to myself.

No response.

"Come on now, isn't the 'silent treatment' a little immature, even for you guys?"

Still nothing, just silent disdain.

"Alright, this is getting ridiculous. You guys sit here, all high and mighty, as if you have the wisdom and morality to tell the others what's right or wrong. As if you have the moral high ground." My voice rises as I continue, "And yet you can't even speak to me, and why? Because of some childish anger? Indignation that you were unable to see this coming, to predict my actions? Because in case you haven't noticed, you're not all knowing, and you definitely don't know me."

Nothing. Not a god damn sound.

I shoot up from my spot on the ground. My spot. An interesting thought, important in some way, but it doesn't stick in my mind, forced out by my rapidly growing anger. I don't think as I march up to the one on my right.

"You pretentious, smug, motherfuckers!" I yell, as I shove them into the pit. I always thought they sat too close to it- yet even so, I shouldn't have been able to move them, no matter how much anger fueled adrenaline ran through my body. I snap out of it, anger switching to confusion as I notice the pit is cold.

"What the- " No matter the topic of discussion, no matter the debate, no matter how serious the situation is, they always come to some sort of conclusion or agreement before the last ember has died. It's weird. But now even the ground around the pit seems to be covered in ash. I look at the one I pushed- they may be on their stomach, but their position hasn't changed. Almost like a-

My head snaps up, finally looking at who surrounds me. I'm met with disturbingly dark eyes in dull gray shells. And yet all I seem to be able to focus on is the top of their heads. The ground isn't covered in ash. The realization rips a laugh from my throat, and it isn't long before I'm doubled over, breathless from manic laughter.

"Well, well, well,", I manage to choke out after catching my breath, "what an unexpected turn of events, wouldn't you say?"

I don't expect a response, not this time. I stare at the statuesque figures around me in triumph.

"I beat you. I outlasted you. How does it feel to lose so miserably to the likes of me?

Part of me thinks I should be grieving, but I've never heard of something so incredulous. What do I owe them? What did they ever do for me? I look in the direction of the village, and hold back another bout of laughter as I see the smoke rising in the air.
© Copyright 2023 Auri Johnson (queergoblin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296413-Condemned