*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297324-Day-At-The-Boardwalk
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #2297324
Frankie and Sarah..best friends, both of them knowing, they would make a perfect couple.
Day at the Boardwalk


"On a dark desert highway,
Cool wind in my hair"


Frankie Sutherland turned the radio up. He always loved Hotel California by The Eagles. The song just made him feel good. He pushed his foot down on the gas pedal while cruising down Route 11.
San Diego was naturally a beautiful area, with nice weather, especially today. Not a cloud in the sky. The only thing missing was someone to share the day with. He immediately thought of Sarah. The love of his life, however, they could only be friends because she was married. Frankie respected that and never tried anything. He wasn't exactly friends with her husband yet, but they didn't dislike each other either. He snagged his cell from the console, scrolled to her name, and hit send.
"Well hello stranger, what's going on?" she said.
He chuckled—the only girl who ever made him laugh.
"I'm just taking a drive. How'd you like me to pick you up? We can enjoy some sightseeing, you can do some shopping down at the boardwalk and maybe some lunch? My treat?"
"Hang on Franklin." That was her nickname for him. "The dog is jumping all over me."
Hesitating for a moment, he murmured under his breath, yet enough for her to catch it.
"Hmm. Lucky dog."
She belly laughed.
"Did you think I wouldn't hear that, crazy guy?"
"I was hoping you didn't."
She got the dog settled and said,
"Let's see, it's eleven twenty now, James is due home around four, I have no appointments so, sure."
"Excellent, I'll be outside your apartment in twenty minutes?"
"Sounds good, she said. See you then."

Frankie switched lanes, took the exit ramp, stopped at a 7- Eleven, grabbed some gas, and a raspberry slushy, and arrived at her place in perfect timing.
Sarah was waiting on the curb. She was wearing white jean shorts, a blue top, and tan sandals. She slipped into the Mustang convertible.
"Oh really? Where's my slushy?"
A smile formed from cheek to cheek as he sucked a sip through the straw. He handed it to her.
"We can share it, blue raspberry."
She raised her eyebrows while taking it from him.
"I'm well aware, it's my favorite and you know it."
Both of them were alike. Deep down they knew they'd be perfect for each other. Unfortunately, they met too late. So anytime the slightest bit of flirtation came about, they both avoided it.
They were there. Frankie pulled into a spot, raised up the roof, grabbed his cell, and got out.
"Where do you wanna go first? He asked.
She tilted her head to the side in thought for a moment.
"The shoe hut?"
"Sounds good to me.", he said.
She gave him a subtle shove.
"Yeah, sure it does."

Later on, they continued down the boardwalk with two pairs of shoes in a bag.
They ate lunch at the chicken coop, did some sightseeing, and stopped at a couple more shops, then it was over. He lit up his phone.
"I better get you home, it's three thirty."
She looked at her own watch.
"Oh damn," she said. "Already?"
"Yeah, time flies when you're with me, just my bad luck."
She laughed. "It's my good luck, I got a free lunch today."

Frankie pulled up to her apartment. James was getting out of his truck and he greeted them.
"What's up, Frankie?" They shook hands.
"Not too much man. Good to see you."
"Same here." Did you two have fun? I'm assuming she did with the bag of shoes. Can't take her anywhere without her shopping. She loves spending money."
Frankie pointed at him,
"Oh yeah, speaking of spending money, you owe me twenty bucks for feeding your wife."
© Copyright 2023 PB Curtis (blaisdell73 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297324-Day-At-The-Boardwalk