*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297914-Amandas-Journey---WC-292
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2297914
Amanda returns home to lick her wounds after a failed marriage.
Amanda’s Journey
WC 292


The trip had been draining. I limped out of the car and hobbled toward the front door, sagging as I walked, my body bowed in the shape of a question mark. I had never been so depleted of everything that was supposed to hold me together. I thought my arm (or some other important body part) might fall off from sheer exhaustion.

“How was the trip, Amanda?” Mother asked as the other vultures hovered around me ready to pick at my weary bones.

I had to be careful how I answered--I was in hostile territory.

“Long,” was all I could muster.

“We need more than that!”

“Mother, I’m exhausted. Can we talk in the morning?”

I knew they needed the gory details. That’s who they are, my family.

I had nowhere else to go to lick my wounds, and yet, I knew it was a mistake to come to them looking for solace.

So sad.

I had finally left my abusive husband these vultures had warned me about before I married him. If he had been a prosperous man, they would have welcomed him with open wings, but he was not.

I loved Fred, but that wasn’t enough. He needed to love me back; he didn’t. In hindsight, I realize all he wanted was my family’s money. I was too young, too naive to see it. The only thing I was thankful for was the prenup my mother and father had insisted upon.

After five childless years, I packed my bags and fled Fred in the dead of night.

In the morning, they will pepper me with questions; I’ll answer as carefully as I can.

Will I repeat my mistakes?

No, I won’t do that again.

Which mistakes?

All of them!
© Copyright 2023 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297914-Amandas-Journey---WC-292