*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297937-To-Remain-Silent
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2297937
Could she stay silent? Would she win?
I had so much I wanted to say, but I was not about to be the first one to make a move or say a word.

Funny, no matter how old you are, this is a game you must do everything possible to win. Words form on your tongue and scream to flow across your lips, but no, nothing will be said. Nope, nope, nope.

I slipped into the passenger seat as my wife took the wheel. We had nearly an hour drive to get to Dallas and it would be silent, or so I hoped. I would rather not continue the argument that brought about this silence into the confines of the car. We were headed to a birthday party for my Great-Grandmother. I would have to work at putting on my game face as it were, as I wore my emotions like a bad suit.

Without anything to distract me, I replayed snippets of our conversation, if you can call it that. What she said, what I said and what I should have said, flew around my head like a bird caught in the house. I wanted to make a point that would solidify my position in this duel of words we had, but I would just have to file it away for later.

I could not quiet my mind. I turned on the radio to listen to something other than car noises. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and adjusted the seat a bit with hope of some comfort for the next half hour.

She reached over and took my hand.

I smiled.

I won.

Prompt:
© Copyright 2023 NeedingBeachDuf 🐠⛵🏝️ (meduf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297937-To-Remain-Silent