*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297951-Heras-Wrath
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Mythology · #2297951
A Greek myth with a twist
Once upon a time, long, long ago, Hera sent two snakes to strangle Heracles.

Her head turned red. She put her hands on her hips and stamped her foot. The whole kingdom trembled, but Hera cared little. Her breathing grew rapid and shallow. Why did her husband and brother always have to have these affairs?

She summoned the future killers. Two powerful constrictors made their way through Heracles' nursery.

The little boy slumbered blissfully.

The first snake had already reached his thick baby neck and was about to kill the demigod.

But then he opened his eyes and yawned heartily. It rubbed its little eyes.

The second snake set out to complete Hera's work of wrath.

Heracles spotted it and pointed.

The door creaked. A maid entered the room. She gasped for breath. Her jaw dropped.

The young hero chuckled. His wide open eyes focused on the choking snakes he held in his hands.

Hera gritted her teeth and clenched her fists. Then she had to resort to harsher means.

A beastly smile crossed her face as she cursed the boy.

That would have been bad enough - but the goddess wanted more.

She tiptoed over to her husband and brother, the father of the gods. Her heart was beating in her throat and her hands were sweating so much that Hera wondered why a puddle had not yet formed under them. She looked around - no one was there to watch her.

Zeus was slumbering almost as innocently as Hercules had done. But something was different: his thunderous snores echoed through the hall and returned with many echoes.

Hera pulled the lightning bolts from his belt and stalked off.

She was almost gone when Zeus awoke. "You will pay for this!" his voice thundered through the room. Then he fell asleep.

The next morning, Hera awoke with snakes around her neck.

And if Heracles did not die, he is still alive today.
© Copyright 2023 Evie 🏳️‍🌈 write&blog (idaschreibt357 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2297951-Heras-Wrath