*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298006-Pakikisama-Filipino-Culture
Rated: E · Documentary · Cultural · #2298006
Know more about the Filipino culture
Disclaimer: This is a personal opinion as a Filipino.

One unique trait of Filipinos is the trait of "Pakikisama". Let me first define what that trait is and how it is being practiced here in our country based on my observation.

According to a website "visa.com.ph", "Pakikisama" is a typical trait of a Filipino, in its simplest sense meaning “getting along with others”. Pakikisama entails a genuine intrinsic appreciation of togetherness. Group harmony and unity is valued. It is being practiced by "blending" with the crowd, choosing what the "majority" wants, even asking "monetary aid without paying it back" is actually considered as pakikisama.

Now, let us focus on the positive impacts of pakikisama. These includes but are not limited to belonging to social group, being accepted by the majority, having so many friends (Filipinos are very friendly in general), being able to work with other people easily despite of the cultural and national differences (Filipinos easily adjust to their environment and are very persistent), getting the help needed, more possibility in being secured and promoted in job, people will defend you because you were able to work with them.

Now, for the negative part. Majority of the popular things here in the Philippines are being followed because of the "cult" even if it is not backed up with science. You have to sacrifice your own personal beliefs just in order to fit in the society. People will even use this trait in order for them not to pay the money that they owe to you, they will say that you have to be in their "shoes" despite the fact that you are just getting back the money that you have lent them. Believe me, a lot of Filipinos ask for money and not pay it back, most especially if it is from their friends and family because it is considered as "pakikisama". People will no longer work because they know that they can depend on someone else, they will use "pakikisama" as an excuse.

My conclusion?
"Pakikisama" should not be used in order to gain personal advantage because after all, the word itself means "Group harmony and unity is valued".

Thoughts?
© Copyright 2023 WritingCoffeeBear (coffeebear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298006-Pakikisama-Filipino-Culture