*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298016-Do-All-Paths-Lead-To-God---Part-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Religious · #2298016
Why does God allow suffering?

No human being alive today is exempt from suffering in some form or another. One person may be living in poverty, another facing a terminal illness, another grieving the loss of a loved one. There are billions of victims, past and present, who have suffered through war, natural disasters and injustice. If we believes that God exists, and cares about mankind, how can we understand these things? Is there a reasonable explanation for why these things happen, and why would God let them happen?

Unfortunately, many of the answers that come from religious leaders today are as illogical and discomforting as the alternative explanation of the atheist, namely that, “Life is pointless, and then we all die and then the universe ends“! Religious leaders say things like “God took your child to be with him in heaven”, or “God sent that earthquake to punish them for their sins.” This has the effect of burdening those who have suffered, with either anger or guilt. One of the most common yet, unsatisfying explanations given is “It’s a mystery, we don’t know why.” Is that really true? What do the religious writings of the world's many faiths say in answer to this important question of suffering?

Once again, let us consider the explanations given by the religious texts, and compare them, as part of our question of - “Do all paths lead to God?”

The Bible actually explains the multiple reasons for suffering, in a clear and precise way. They are as follows;

1) Human selfishness

2) Independence from God

3) Unfortunate accidents

4) Natural disasters

5) Imperfection (sin)

6) Evil and the Devil

God not responsible


According to the Bible, suffering is not caused by God and, despite what some people claim, it is not used by God to test us or to improve us. The Bible clearly states - “When under trial, let no-one say “I am being tried by God”, For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone” - (James 1.13). Contrary to poular opinion, and church teachings, the Bible does not say that sinners are burned forever in Hellfire. The Bible also says that all suffering will soon end. But that is a subject for later in this series of articles.

Hinduism

The Hindu writings paint an entirely different picture of suffering. The religious and traditional mindset handed down through centuries, was the “Caste” system - the belief that all people are born into their proper and intended status in life. This national identity tag meant, if someone is born into poverty, they deserve it, due to sins committed in a previous life. For those born into a privileged rich life, they obviously lived a pious and righteous life previously. This idea was woven deeply into the psyche of the Hindu population. Few dared to question this “divine” truth, readily accepting their lot in life, no matter how desperate and poverty stricken. The general result of this was – is, that the very poor, or disabled, or diseased, were convinced that they had been wicked previously. So, not only did they have to endure malnutrition and deprivation, struggling to find the necessities of life for themselves and their families, but they were also burdened with the added shame of believing that they had done evil, selfish deeds in their previous life and had to make amends for those acts, in their current existence. This was made more difficult because the bad deeds supposedly committed in previous life were not known to them. One wonders how someone can show regret, and change their ways if they do not know what they have done wrong in the first place.

According to Hindu writings, the only way to obtain release from human suffering is to achieve “moksha”, which means liberation, or release, from the endless cycle of rebirths and different existences. But this is not a release for the human being – the person, but only for the “soul.” “Since moksha, or release from the long series of incarnations, is the goal of every Hindu, the biggest event in his life is really his death,” states one commentator. While awaiting the next reincarnation, a person is in Hell – being burned, or heaven. In a later part, I will compare the teaching of an immortal soul – as taught by Hinduism, and almost all religions – with the Bible's teaching, which is very different.

Catholic Bible and teachings

The official position of the Catholic church, while acknowledging sin as a factor in suffering, is that suffering is God's will, and that we should use our suffering as a sacrifice to God, to make us better people, as the old saying goes - “Suffering is good for the soul” (not a Bible teaching). Although the Catholic church has been forced to review it's doctrine on Hell in recent years, the historical position of the church has laways been that sinners will be burned in Hell eternally.

Modern Judaism

The teaching of modern Judaism is that man has an immortal soul, which migrates from one life to the next, as in the Hindu faith. This belief condemns the sufferer to accept that his suffering is the will of God, as some kind of punishment for previous sins. And, once again, Judaism teaches that sinners will be burned in Hell.

Islam

Islam teaches that humans have free will, and that actions have consequences. However, most Muslims also believe in fate, that paths in life are predetermined by Allah. Therefore Islam concludes that suffering can serve mutiple purposes - Allah’s way of educating people, retribution for a wrong we have committed, and a test of faith and endurance, to earn a place in paradise. Islam also teaches that God severly punishes unbelievers and sinners by burning them in eternal Hellfire. In fact, the Koran contains very vivid, and disturbing descriptions of suffering in Hell. “Those who disbelieve Our revelations, We shall expose them to the Fire. As often as their skins are consumed We shall exchange them for fresh skins that they may taste the torment. Lo! Allah is ever Mighty, Wise.” (Surah 4:56) A further description states: “Lo! hell lurketh in ambush ... They will abide therein for ages. Therein taste they neither coolness nor (any) drink save boiling water and a paralysing cold.” - (Surah 78:21, 23-25)

Mormon

The book of Mormon says of suffering - “All these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good “ (D&C 122.7). The book of Mormon teaches that - enduring suffering is a test, while humans are on earth, in preparation for returning to heaven. It also teaches that sinners are burned in Hell.
© Copyright 2023 Moomintroll (hemmullenn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298016-Do-All-Paths-Lead-To-God---Part-3