*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298206-Do-All-Paths-Lead-To-God
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Religious · #2298206
Part 4 - What happens to us when we die?

Why do we die and, where do we go when we die? These questions have been considered since history began. They concern us all, because one thing we all know about our future, is the certainty of death. Let us continue our comparison of teachings of the main religions of the world, to see what they tell us about death, and the “hereafter.”

The Bible

It is written in the Bible that “God has put eternity into the hearts of mankind” (Ecclesiastes 3.11). This confirms that it is a natural desire for humans to want to continue living indefinitely. Only the most depressed or seriously ill among us actually wish for death. The Bible gives an explanation for death.

According to the Bible - humans did not come from Heaven. The Bible quite clearly states that “God formed the man from the dust of the earth.” Adam was told that, if he ate from the forbidden tree, thereby rejecting God's authority, he would die. Was Adam told that he would go to either Heaven or Hell? No. He was simply told that, if he disobeyed God, he would “Go back to dust from whence you came”, he would, once again, not exist. However, we need to ask ourselves - what would have happened if Adam hadn’t rejected God's sovereignty? He would still be alive today, on the earth.

When sin (a genetic and spiritual corruption) entered the world, and humans began to age and die, God introduced a solution to restore mankind to the position that Adam and Eve once enjoyed, that of perfection in paradise, on earth. That solution was called the “Kingdom of God.” Although the Bible does indicate that a limited, small number of humans would be taken to Heaven, to “Rule over the earth” with Jesus, it also reveals that the vast majority of humans will “Inherit the earth, and they will live forever upon it.” The Bible reveals that, once imperfection (sin) is removed from mankind, people will no longer die. Even more amazing, the Bible reveals that God will bring those who have died, and are in his memory, back to life, on earth. The Bible clearly states that death was never God's intention, He wanted humans to live endlessly, on earth – not in heaven.

The Bible does not teach that humans have an immortal soul. The word - “Soul” in Hebrew, is “Nephesh.” This basically means “breather” and it refers to any creature that breathes and bleeds. The Bible teaches that humans don’t have souls, but that they are souls. This is confirmed when it says of the first humans “And the man came to be a living soul.” Later, in the book of Ezekiel (18.4), we are told that “The soul that is sinning, it will die.” So all of us are living souls. Yet the soul, the person, can die. The Bible does not teach anything about “ghosts,” in fact the word is not in the Bible. The Bible reveals that “The dead are conscious of nothing.” However, “spirits” are mentioned, but they are not dead humans, but wicked angels masquerading as dead humans.

Hinduism

The Hindu writings teach that humans have an immortal soul that survives death, and is reincarnated either as a person, or even a creature, depending on their former existence, and their “Karma” - their reward for good or bad. During their wait they can be sent to fiery hell, to be burned, or heaven to be praised. The final aim is to achieve release, or “Moksha” to become part of the “Brahman” - the “Supreme reality.”

Catholic Bible

Although the Catholic (or “Universal”) church's Douay Bible contains much of the original Bible canon, the official teaching of the Catholic church is that humans are temporary residents on earth, and that, at death the immortal human soul goes to either “Heaven”, if we are faithful, “Pergatory” (not a word found in the Bible), if we need to be judged, or “Hell” to be tormented in fire forever, if we have been bad. The common belief is that a person can become a “ghost” and haunt the living.

Judaism

According to the modern teachings of Judaism, humans have an immortal soul, which leaves the body at death, and goes to heaven or Hell. This is a direct contradiction to the original Hebrew Biblical teaching of the physical resurrection – the coming back to life of the body – on earth. Historians and scholars say that the original Jewish beliefs in the resurrection were replaced by Greek philosophical ideas in the early first century BCE.

Islam

Islām teaches that we have a soul that goes on to a hereafter. The Qurʼān states: “Allah receiveth (men’s) souls at the time of their death, and that (soul) which dieth not (yet) in its sleep. He keepeth that (soul) for which He hath ordained death.” (Surah 39:42,). The Koran also teaches that, the soul will go to either paradise, or Hell. At the same time, surah 75 is entirely devoted to “Qiyāmat, or the Resurrection”, or “The Rising of the Dead.” Regarding the Resurrection Day, it says “Does man think that We cannot assemble his bones?” - Surah 75. This may be confusing to sincere Muslims.

Mormon


The Mormon teaching is that human beings, having descended from heaven originally, return to heaven (or Hell) when they die. Although the Mormon teachings claim to be based on the Bible, they contradict it by stating these things. One high-ranking Mormon stated - “Our bodies were not created to live in mortality without limit. They were built in such a way that they were subject to illness, injury, aging, and death. We start to die the moment we are born. Why? The reason is simple. Our Heavenly Father wants us to return to him. He gave us life, and he provided the means by which we could return to him. Viewed from an eternal perspective, we live to die; and die to live again.” Thus, Mormons do not acknowledge the Biblical truth of the introduction of sin and death to the human race, or the hope of the earthly resurrection, promised by Jesus. Neither does the Mormon teaching focus on the Biblical promise that “The meek will inherit the earth, and they will dwell forever upon it.”

Once again, we can see the extreme differences between the teachings of the major religions.

In the next part, we will consider the question of future events. What do religions say will happen to mankind, and the earth, in the future?
© Copyright 2023 Moomintroll (hemmullenn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298206-Do-All-Paths-Lead-To-God