*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298225-A-Moment-at-The-Front-Porch-Ministries
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #2298225
Thinking about the participants at The Front Porch Ministries (TFPM)
A Take Five-Moment at The Front Porch Ministries

What a BLAST we had at The Front Porch Ministries (TFPM) today. There was happiness, laughter, fun, prayer, and genuine sharing. People were thrilled that TFPM was up and running and that they were able to return and pick up various food items and other resources.

Then the food arrived, and the real work began -- sorting, bagging, and getting the food ready for distribution. Then there is the posting and sharing to get participants to come and pick up the food. Did I mention that this is all done under the watchful eyes of the birds who want their cut?

Yet, they arrive at The Front Porch Ministries shortly after the bread or food truck arrives and sit patiently (not always patiently) in the trees, fences, or grass, making noise until they are noticed.

Karen Simmons and I picked up the bread, and she learned firsthand what a job it is to go up and down each row to pick out the bread, bag it, drag it to the dock, load the car, and get it home, where you have to unbag it, separate it, and get it ready for distribution. NO EASY FEAT! Our biggest job was getting those enormous bags of bread out of the car! THANK GOD FOR RESIDENTS out on their daily promenade and willing to give us a hand. Once fed, they go on about their business along with the squirrels.

Personally, I am in love with all of The Front Porch Ministries' participants. They bring joy to the mission. They share their concerns, problems, issues, and, yes, their love.

Like most of us, they are simply struggling from one day to the next, paycheck to paycheck, and often on minimum wages, yet they are encouraging and concerned about others who are worse off (according to them) than they are. They are accumulating bills they can't pay, proud of their progress with raising their children, and thankful for the respite that The Front Porch Ministries provide, so they tarry just a little longer, picking out what they want to carry home with them. They try to teach me Spanish and know I am hopeless, but they keep trying.

The children know that The Front Porch Ministries often have something just for them, but they are a little shy about reminding me to make it available to them, so they watch me and hope I will figure it out before they must leave. Their hugs and appreciation are the best rewards for all the work that goes into making The Front Porch Ministries (TFPM) a happy place.

The adults also find ways to say thank you with their smiles and tears. Some even tell stories about their homeland or other family members. No, do not get me wrong, some of the recipients are immigrants. Still, most are from within the United States (Alabama, Georgia, New York, Maryland, North Carolina, Texas, and other locations).

And, yes, the older ones find a way to tell me their ages, which is a hoot. Somehow or some way, they determine that they are much older than me – like today, a new participant immediately told me he was 68 years old and proud of it. I laughed and said, alright, youngster, you think it is old? Well, you will have to wait until you reach my grand old age of 76 before I say yes, sir. He stopped talking, stared in my direction, and then said, "You look good for your age.

Long and short, it was just another day at The Front Porch Ministries (TFPM) in Mount Rainier, Maryland, where free food exchanges hands to meet the needs of the community.

Note: There is still some food, mainly bread, out there for those in need or who want some good old fresh bread from Lyon Bakery!
© Copyright 2023 G. B. Williams (mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298225-A-Moment-at-The-Front-Porch-Ministries