*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298635-Remembering-My-Village----2023
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Biographical · #2298635
Remembering those who touched my life and helped shape me to live in today's world.
The month of June is rapidly coming to an end, and I am feeling blessed and Thankful for my many teachers over the years!

As I sit here today, I think about one of my grade school teachers, Ms. Ellen Cogdell (6th grade). She insisted on a well-rounded education -- so did all of my elementary teachers -- Ms. Bennie Mae Witherspoon, Ms. Lezetta Parker, Ms. Martha Fisher, Ms. Benjamin, Ms. Willie Ruth Merit, and my 7th-grade teacher, whose name escape me at the moment. She, along with my mother, gave me my love for writing and poetry.

In elementary school in Screven, Georgia, we learned oral speaking. We were required to remember poems, read books, keep up with the daily news, write articles, and, yes, participate in plays and other learning activities above and beyond the lessons in the books. We were expected to represent our school, our parents, and our teachers.

Today, as I think of Ms. Ellen Cogdell, I think of a poem that I have not heard in years but had to learn verbatim, and it became my guidepost for my life -- The House by the Side of the Road!

The House by the Side of the Road
by Sam Walter Foss

"He was a friend to man, and lived
In a house by the side of the road."
-- Homer

There are hermit souls that live withdrawn
In the place of their self-content;
There are souls like stars, that dwell apart,
In a fellowless firmament;
There are pioneer souls that blaze their paths
Where highways never ran-
But let me live by the side of the road
And be a friend to man. -

Let me live in a house by the side of the road,
Where the race of men go by-
The men who are good and the men who are bad,
As good and as bad as I.
I would not sit in the scorner's seat,
Or hurl the cynic's ban-
Let me live in a house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man. -

I see from my house by the side of the road,
By the side of the highway of life,
The men who press with the ardor of hope,
The men who are faint with the strife.
But I turn not away from their smiles nor their tears,
Both parts of an infinite plan-
Let me live in a house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

I know there are brook-gladdened meadows ahead
And mountains of wearisome height;
That the road passes on through the long afternoon
And stretches away to the night.
But still I rejoice when the travelers rejoice.
And weep with the strangers that moan,
Nor live in my house by the side of the road
Like a man who dwells alone. -

Let me live in my house by the side of the road-
It's here the race of men go by.
They are good, they are bad, they are weak, they are strong,
Wise, foolish- so am I;
Then why should I sit in the scorner's seat,
Or hurl the cynic's ban?
Let me live in my house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

What a powerful and humbling thought for the world in which I find myself.

It seems today, if one is not a superstar, powerful elected official, or some other great personage, they have no value, but I am here to remind each of us that each of us is valuable JUST AS WE ARE. No big title, no big car, no big house, no nothing that would impress, just plain simple me and you with honesty, integrity, respect, and love for one another.

I am a proponent of the belief that all people deserve love, help, support, respect, and our very best to each other. I know that we can return to a softer, better, gentler world where every man, woman, and child is entitled to the good life (whatever that may be for them) without feeling less than anyone else.

Our current atmosphere in America has got to go go, so even today, it is my prayer that God will continue to "Let me live in my house by the side of the road, And be a friend to man.

NOTE: I did not mention my early church family, but I would be remiss not to mention Mother Johnathan Greene, who told me women could do almost anything if they put their minds to it. Sister Helen Cromartie who taught me values and respect. Sister Janie Brownlee who told me outright that singing was not my strong point, but the gift of gap and speaking were my strengths, and Brother Robert Lee Sutton, who told me that Sunday School was the place to get grounded in my values and the best way to do that was to teach Sunday Scool which would make me learn my Bible.

I guess it really did take a village to get me to this place in my life. Many of them are dead and gone, but a few are still here, and when I go to Screven, I stop by and visit. I owe each one of them a debt of Gratitude.

NOTE: You would have to have been raised in Screven, Georgia, to understand the community connection and the deep impression individual men and women had on our lives. My mother started the first kindergarten with about six or seven children using her own funds because she believed Black children should be able to go to kindergarten before entering the first grade. My mother also served as the cook and dietician for the elementary school and made sure all of the children got good nutritional meals even when they could not pay the nickel, dime, or fifteen cents. Ms. Florence was and will always be my role model for life.
© Copyright 2023 G. B. Williams (mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298635-Remembering-My-Village----2023