*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298715-New-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Raghda
Rated: E · Novella · Experience · #2298715
Short story to be continued
What I really want to do is leave everything and go to a different place to meet different people and see what I’m capable of. I imagine myself preparing my suitcase, standing in front of the airport gates, getting my tickets, jumping into the plane, looking out of the window and wondering where I will be after 5 hours, freeing my mind from any negative thoughts or what I will face in my new life. I picture myself sitting in my chair with my hair towering up in a big bun. Then comes the moment that I dreamed of a long time ago when the plane is landing down in the Swiss lands. A shiver comes down all over my body, but I manage to gather everything and move.



People are queuing up to receive their luggage, and I’m waiting for my turn. I’m trying to stay calm. I can’t believe that I finally did it. I’m free from all the restrictions that I had before. I don’t have to wear makeup. I don't need to be overdressed to attract people anymore. I keep it simple now that my face is clear. My eyes may look tired, but they maintain their charm and innocence. My hair, long and wavy around my shoulders, matches well with my beige cargo pants, an oversized white t-shirt, a navy blue jacket, and white sneakers. I'm out of the airport, staring at the sky with gratitude for having the courage to break free and start anew. At 40 years old, not 20, perhaps the only visible difference is the few wrinkles around my eyes - my energy is the same, if not more. I walk miles to achieve all the dreams I've had since I was younger.

Here is what happened three months ago: I contacted a company in Switzerland that was hiring offline copywriters. I applied and sent them samples of my work; they liked them and sent me a job offer, and they said that I had to be ready within three months. I couldn’t believe that I had been accepted, but I had lots of things to do. First of all, I had to tell my daughter where she would stay and how I would spend a year without her. I found support from all my family members, even my daughter; she understood the whole situation and wished me good luck. So I headed to the embassy and applied for the passport. I prepared everything, giving some of my savings to my family to cover Carla’s needs.

Now that I’m there, I have lots of things to do and a target to achieve, and I have to prove to myself that I can do better. I’m heading now to the apartment that the company told me about. It is in a lovely place, serene and refreshing with trees surrounding the building. The building itself is bright white with large glass windows in the middle and is gated by a big beige gate. It's exactly the type of home I had pictured in my mind. As I approach the gate, I see a tall woman with yellow hair. She's in her fifties, smiling at me with her big green eyes. "You're Ms. Victoria! You're much prettier than I imagined! I'm Lorita, the owner of the building. Let me take you to your apartment. You must be tired!" she said. I smiled and replied, "Thank you for the compliment! I think it's better if you show me to the bed as fast as you can, or I'll fall asleep here!" I laughed. She walked and I followed her to the building's hall, which was lit up by old, classic lanterns. The walls were adorned with vintage decorations, and a large window in the center was adorned with white lilies. Their fragrant aroma greeted us as we entered, evoking the feeling of spring. As we ascended the staircase, each step creaked beneath our feet. I couldn't help but appreciate the sound, reminiscent of my grandmother's house. Upon reaching the first floor, my host produced a large silver key and unlocked one of the colossal, old-fashioned doors, ushering us into a charming classic apartment. The wallpaper was a bright pink adorned with delicate, yellow flowers, and the windows were open wide. There is a big, cozy couch in the middle of the room with a creamy table and a delicate vase on it. Lorita stopped and handed me the key. "Here is the key, my dear. I hope that you like the apartment. If you need anything, just let me know. I will be in flat number 6 on the second floor," she said. I nodded and took the key with a wide smile on my face. "I'll let you rest now; the bedroom is next to the bathroom; you'll find everything you need; there are also some groceries in the fridge. Bye for now." I locked the door behind her, and I skipped to the bedroom, which was large with a big, comfy bed. I took off my sneakers, jumped into bed, closed my eyes, and went into a deep sleep.
© Copyright 2023 Raghda (raghda33 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2298715-New-Life