*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299505-A-Moment
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2299505
Flash Fiction
A Moment

“What-cha doing?” James asked, walking into the garage.

“Nothing that concerns you,” Ted snapped back.

This immediately made it way more interesting to James, who had only been asking so Ted wouldn’t accuse him of sneaking up. He didn’t sneak on purpose; he was just quiet. But now, full of questions!

“What is it? Are those Dad’s pliers? Are you allowed to use Dad’s pliers? What are you making? Can I help?”

“Go away!”

“I don’t have to; I can come in the garage anytime, just like you. Or I can go tell Dad you won’t let me stay in the garage…”

“No, fine! You can stay, be quiet.”

“What-cha making?”

“How can talking be being quiet!” Ted snapped, suddenly having trouble with the plyers.

“You’re holding them wrong…” James said, suddenly, without whining. “Here,” he moved Ted’s hand a bit so he had a better grip, and turned the plyers. James made his move again and this time it worked.

“How did you know that?” he asked.

“I watch a lot, when you’re the youngest you watch a lot.”

Ted laughed. “Well, since you’re here, I’m trying to fix my Montromoter. I accidently dented it. Dad told me a billion times to be careful, I don’t want him to know I wasn’t.”

“Got it. Look, instead of pulling here, just push there,” Ted looked confused, but did it, it worked. The dent popped right out. “How did you know that?”

“I’ve dented a few things…” James said quietly.

“Of mine?!?”

“No! Don’t laugh… of Dad’s…”

Ted burst out laughing. “Well, I’ll keep your secret if you keep mine,” he said.

“What secrets?” came a deep voice from the doorway.

Ted and James became friends, instead of just brothers, that very day- while cleaning the garage for Dad…
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299505-A-Moment