*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299377-A-Moment-in-Life
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2299377
Flash Fiction
A Moment in Life

“I knew that was going to happen.”

“Then why’d ya do it?” came a voice from behind Alex, making him jump.

“What?” he said flustered, to the short, somewhat thick little man standing behind him.

“Why did you do it if you knew it was going to come out badly?”

“Ah… and you are?”

“Tomas. Tomas Smith actually,” he said holding out his hand apparently to shake Alex’s. Alex just stared, so he pulled it back, then added “What is it that happened anyway? Looks fine to me.”

Squinting, Alex said “It’s fine.”

“Oh. Then what was it that you knew was going to happen?”

“Do I know you?” Alex asked, finally gaining his composure back.

“I don’t believe we’ve formally met actually, I’m your fairy godfather.”

“Pffft” Alex spouted, now laughing. “You almost had me there mister!”

“No almost about it, I have you, I’m your fairy godfather.”

Taking pity on the old man, Alex suddenly decided to just be nice and leave as quickly as possible. “I thought there would be apples here, but it’s not an apple tree,” he said trying for something that would sound right to the crazy little guy.

“I don’t think so…” he said, “You threw that rock pretty hard toward that window. It looked as if you were trying to break it.”

Alex turned a bit red, the guy was reading him like a book. Not knowing what else to do, he dropped the rock in his other hand, automatically looking down as it hit the ground. When he looked up, the man was gone.

Seventy-two years later he was still watching for that man. He’d lead a wonderful, fruitful life because he was always watching and waiting for Tomas to return. And Tomas did, the day Alex passed away.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299377-A-Moment-in-Life