*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299666-Meet-Me-There
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #2299666
She loved that swing when she was alive.
A still-green leaf rolled out of Larry's yard.

It led my eyes, against my will, to the strung-up tire in my tree. Sarah loved that swing, when she was alive. Never saw that seat empty, not in the daylight.

I looked into the eyes of a blackbird on the powerline. Had it really been last October she went on that rock climbing adventure? It felt like last week.

The blackbird watched as the pain of her empty space drove me.

Before I knew better, I found myself in the only safe place in the yard.

I gripped that heavy rope and started to rock back and forth, just like she did.

I used to stand by and tell her jokes. That they weren't funny never mattered. The music of her laugh lit up the cloudiest day.

That was her way of telling me I was going to be okay. I heard her laugh coming out of my throat.

Her laugh, her smile on my lips. I dialed the phone, "Hey, Larry, I'm sorry."

"Man, you need to get out of that place."

"We're going to have to get our funding somewhere else. This house… it's not for sale."

"Come on, Joe. Be reasona…"

I needed to be here, with Sarah, even if it hurt. I powered down the phone.

The blackbird nodded and flew away.
© Copyright 2023 Joto-Kai (jotokai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299666-Meet-Me-There