*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299717-Awkward
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2299717
Flash Fiction
Awkward

“What is going on here?” Jan said, walking in the door.

“What?” Sandy said looking up from her desk.

“When I left, to get the papers from Marion, there were sixteen people here! Now just you… where did everybody go?”

“Brandies. Everybody left to go to Brandies. They’ll be back.”

“Why did they go to Brandies?”

“Jimmy King is doing a lunch thing today. They all wanted to support him.”

“Who is Jimmy King?”

“Well, that’s not his real name, just his stage name. He used to work here. When he decided to take his music more seriously, he decided to use a different name and he ran a contest here with us. Everybody wrote down a possible name and he picked his favorite. And Jimmy King won. The person who entered that name got a forever pass to his concerts, well, if he ever had concerts.”

“So, I guess he did if he’s doing one now! Who won?”

“I did.”

“Wow! And, why are you not there?”

“Well, for one thing, this report has to be done and in today, and for another I’ve already been to his shows many times.”

“Won’t he notice you aren’t there?”

“No, I told him this morning I had this report today and I wouldn’t be able to make it.”

“This morning?”

“Yeah.”

“What, does he still check in with you because you won the name thing?”

“No, he checks in with me because he’s my husband.”

“What? You’re married to a performer?”

“Yeah. He’s pretty good too. He’s even working on his first album.”

“Wow, why didn’t you ever mention? Have I ever heard his stuff do you think?”

“Probably not… he’s a clown, who does tricks and sings at kids birthday parties…”

“Oh…”

“Exactly…”

“Well, good luck with your report…”

“Thanks…”
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2299717-Awkward