*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300123-Flints-BBQ
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Food/Cooking · #2300123
Flint's BBQ sadly is no more, Bay Area is not a great BBQ destination in my opinion
{font: times}Flint’s BBQ Writers’ Cramp


340 words

One night in the late 80s Sam Adams was out with friends and ended up at the best BBQ joint In the East Bay, “Flint’s BBQ” in a mostly black neighborhood, where the best BBQ joints were found as real BBQ was seen as a Southern Thing in the Bay Area in those days, along with grits and biscuits and gravy. Many people went out for Mexican food to get their heat fix, or Thai food just getting started. BBQ not so much although that has changed a lot.

The owner, a jovial older African American matron asked him.

“Say, White Brothers, how do you like your ribs? Mild, hot, or very hot?”

Feeling macho, Sam's two buddies, one Jewish, one-half Black, half white, and Sam, whose tangled bloodlines contained 18 nationalities, mostly Scandinavian, German, and Scottish, but also part black, Cherokee, Jewish, Laplander, Mongolian, Russian, Spanish, and Ukrainian, all said,

“Very hot”

She gave them three platters of hot ribs, mothered in red hot BBQ sauce, a side order of hot and spicy pringles, Madame Jeanette Pepper, A local favorite brand, and a bottle of very cold mint water. It was $9.50 per person.


They finished it, although it was too hot to eat.

She smiled at them and spoke.

“White dudes, is it hot enough for you? I could make it hotter.”

“Nope, just perfect” Sam muttered, not wanting to give her any satisfaction.

She smiled at them and served the next customers.


They went outside where They drank the mint water and went to Alcatraz liquor and bought some more water and drank it up.




New Prompt:

Use in your poem or story the following: Bold or colorize it for tomorrow's judge!

Hot and spicy Pringles

a bottle of mint water

Madame Jeannette pepper

too hot to eat



Make food your genre for today.


Based on a true story, The owner was just playing with us, most of her patrons were from the neighborhood, and not too many white customers came by particularly at 2 am as it was in a rough neighborhood. Flint’s BBQ closed in 2010. There are quite a few BBQ places around but in my opinion, the Bay Area is still not a great BBQ place.
© Copyright 2023 JCosmos (jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300123-Flints-BBQ