*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300219-The-Clever-Dragon-of-Neverbrook
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2300219
A brand new fractured fairy tale
Once upon a time, in the fair kingdom of Neverbrook, where up was sometimes down and down was sometimes up, there lived an unusually anxious dragon named Cinders. Cinders, unlike most dragons, was neither brutish nor ferocious. In fact, he was downright neurotic, always concerned about upsetting the kingdom's delicate balance.

Just east of Neverbrook, Princess Seraphina lived in her massive castle. Seraphina was revered across the kingdom for her strength and courage, though her stubbornness often led to brash decisions. She longed for an adventure, a tale of bravery she could recount to her people, but Neverbrook was a land of tranquility where adventure was as rare as a four-leaf clover.

Hearing stories of dragons from neighboring kingdoms, Seraphina made up her mind. She would locate the fabled dragon of Neverbrook and display her bravery for all to see.

One day, she armed herself with her strongest armor and sharpest sword, then galloped off to confront Cinders. She arrived at Cinders' lair, an enormous cave furnished with piles of old scrolls, quills, and ink pots instead of the traditional treasure trove.

"Show yourself, dragon!" she roared, banging her sword against her shield.

Cinders peered out from behind a pile of scrolls, quaking in his scales. "Oh, dear. What have I done now?" he fretted.

With a gasp, Seraphina found herself facing a dragon more fearful than fierce. "Are you not the terrifying beast who breathes fire and devours humans?"

"Well, I do breathe fire, but only to cook my meals," he admitted, wringing his claws. "And as for humans, well, they're just too high in cholesterol."

Seraphina was stunned, her vision of a daring battle slipping away. Instead, an idea sparked in her mind.

"Why don't we pretend? We can stage a battle!" she proposed.

Cinders was horrified. "What if someone gets hurt? What if the fire gets out of control?"

Seeing his concern, Seraphina assured him it would all be under control. She also secretly liked the idea of working together with this unconventional dragon.

Word spread of the upcoming epic battle, and on the chosen day, the kingdom of Neverbrook was alive with anticipation. The battleground was set, and the air was thick with excitement.

But as the 'battle' unfolded, something unexpected happened. Cinders, with his incredible fire-breathing skills, put on a display that looked more like a firework show than a fierce battle. His flames painted the sky in brilliant hues of red, orange, and gold, leaving the audience in awe.

Seraphina, on her part, performed daring acrobatics, leaping and dodging, making the crowd gasp and cheer. It was a spectacle unlike anything Neverbrook had ever seen.

The 'battle' ended in a grand finale with Seraphina 'defeating' the dragon, which involved a tickling match that left Cinders rolling on the ground, laughing heartily.

Their performance was met with roaring applause and cheers. The kingdom hailed Princess Seraphina for her bravery and hailed Cinders for his incredible fire display.

From that day forward, the kingdom of Neverbrook was filled not only with tranquility but also with a sense of joy and camaraderie. Seraphina visited Cinders often, sharing stories and planning more spectacles for their people.

And so, they all lived happily and unusually ever after, proving that even in a world turned upside-down, there's always room for a little more upside-down-ness.
© Copyright 2023 WriterRick (rick12221 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300219-The-Clever-Dragon-of-Neverbrook