*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300408-Mine
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2300408
The sunken ship was a ghastly sight
The sunken ship was a ghastly sight, yet Jake couldn't resist its ominous allure. His heart pounded in his chest as he dove deeper, his torch illuminating the barnacle-covered hull. He wondered what treasures remained untouched for centuries within this skeletal maritime grave.

Rumors of the cursed galleon had been the tales of the port. They said a colossal ruby, the "Heart of the Ocean," was still lodged in the captain's cabin, but every diver seeking it never returned.

"That's what they all say." Jake chuckled at the thought as he swam into the tenebrous abyss. His torch fell upon an ornately carved door. The captain's quarters. With baited breath, he creaked the door open.

Inside, shadows danced on the walls as the torch's light brushed against the age-old oak. A glittering hint caught his eye; the ruby sat atop a mossy desk, glowing eerily in the room’s half-light. He reached out, his fingers barely grazing the gem when an icy chill descended, the temperature dropping suddenly.

Jake froze as a spectral figure manifested before him, its face a twisted visage of the drowned captain. "You seek to take what is mine," it hissed, its voice echoing in the water-filled room.

With a rush of adrenaline, Jake snatched the ruby, dashing out as the spectral figure howled behind him. The water swirled violently around him, but he fought the pull, pushing towards the surface.

As he broke through, gasping for breath, he laughed, clutching the ruby tightly in his hand. "That's what they all say," he repeated, a triumphant grin stretching across his face. "And that’s exactly what they get wrong."
© Copyright 2023 WriterRick (rick12221 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300408-Mine