*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300269-The-Car-Of-Her-Dreams
Rated: E · Fiction · Emotional · #2300269
She grew up in her uncle's world of fixing cars.
That's the car she wanted to own. A dark blue 1975 Super Beetle that her uncle Ed own. She looked at a picture of the Bug in question. She as a little girl, sitting on the back bumper of the car. Darla grew up in the late 1980's, and into the 1990's, how was she going to find a Bug like her uncle had, ever again? Darla lowered the picture. It was an impossible dream. One she knows is not going to come true. She lean on her own car, a 2000 Dodge Neon. Another car she liked. Another car she liked, and owns. So maybe she can find that Bug afterall.

Darla put away the picture in a small pocket, plastic protector, and put it up in a picture holder in the sunvisor in her 2000 Dodge Neon. Then she got into the car herself, and closed the door. Still finding herself looking at the picture. Wondering if she'll ever be able to find a Beetle like that, again.

Darla's uncle had sold off the Beetle he had to a guard. Darla can still remember her uncle taking the car to the man, and talking to him about it. The man looking at the car, from behind a tall fenced in building. Darla don't remember much after that. Only that the navy blue Bug had been sold off. And, her uncle had bought a red, 1977 Ford Mustang Hatchback. That was an awesome car too. Darla always loved the running horse on the front of the car.

The Mustang her uncle own, what seemed forever. He was always working on it. Even taking out the engine and rebuilding it. Darla can still remember him working on it in the backyard of her grandmother's house. Watching the crane pull the engine out of the car. Watching him work on the engine, pretty much all day.

When her uncle Ed wasn't working on his Mustang, Darla would go out and sit in it. Sometimes when it rained, she would sit in it, and turn on the windsheld wipers. Watching them go back and forth across the front windsheld. Removing rain, only to have it gather back up on the window again, to wipe it off once more.

Darla snapped out of thought. It was starting to rain now. Here and now. Rain hitting the front windsheld of her 2000 Dodge Neon. She flipped on the wipers, and watched then wipe away the rain. Thinking back to her uncle's red Ford Mustang. She remembers naming the Mustang, "Reddy" because it was red. And the family named their cars. The Bug's name was "Herbie" after the movie, Herbie the Love Bug.

Was it the movie that got Darla to liking VW Beetles, or was it her uncle? Darla wasn't sure. But there are a lot of cars she likes. The Beetle is just her first car love.
© Copyright 2023 Darla May (darlamay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300269-The-Car-Of-Her-Dreams