*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300271-Friends
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2300271
Flash Fiction
Friends

“I’ve never told anybody this.”

“Why not?” Carrie asked.

“Huh?” said Tina, stopping as they walked down the sidewalk.

“Why haven’t you ever told anyone?”

“The question should be ‘What?’ and in an excited tone.

“What?”

“Yes, I’m about to tell you something I’ve never told anybody before. You’re supposed to be excited, not questioning my reasoning.”

“Oh, sorry. I’m new at this friendship thing.”

“You didn’t have friends in Charlotte?”

“Well, yeah, but I’d known them all, all my life. We had a lot of kids in our neighborhood and we all went to the local school so I pretty much spent my entire life so far with everyone my age, and in my neighborhood in our town. We we’re all friends.”

“So, no best friend?”

“Well, not really. The smallest group I belonged to was my neighborhood friends, there were eight of us in my grade alone.”

“Weird. Well, here you have good friends, classmates, and weirdos and lunatics and creepies… and at least one best friend.’

“Oh! Who is that?”

“Me?...”

“Oh yeah! I just never thought of it that way. We do hang around together a lot, I’m so glad! So, we’re best friends? I never had a best friend before! I’m so excited! So, what were you going to tell me?”

Tina thought a minute, then sighed, “I have no idea. I was so confused when you said what you said that I forgot!”

“When I said what?”

“Why haven’t you ever told anyone?”

“Well, now at least you still haven’t! You’ll remember eventually…” and the two friends laughed their way down the street!
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300271-Friends