*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300037-Saved-by-a-Child
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2300037
Flash Fiction
Saved by a Child

“Do you need help?” Alex turned around quickly, too quickly, causing everything in front of him to topple over into a pile. He froze. The voice belonged to Dad, and everything on the floor did too.

“What are you doing with my clock? And my socks? Is that my toothbrush?”

“I… I was just borrowing them.”

“For what? And aren’t you supposed to ask people before you borrow their things?”

“You weren’t home?”

“Is that a question? …I’m home now…”

“Can I use your stuff?”

“For what?”

“I’m making a surprise for somebody…”

“Oh!” Dad said, suddenly happily in love with his son. Alex was making him a surprise and he got caught! ‘Oh dear’ he thought, I’ve ruined it! Then, “Oh… well, I have to go watch TV now, I’ll see you later!”

Alex watched him go, thinking again, grown-ups are so weird.

In the den, with nothing else to do, Dad turned on the TV. There was a news flash, a young boy was found after a long night of searching, he was tired but fine, He said he got lost trying to find a pink flower because his mother loved pink flowers and he wanted to surprise his Mom. Suddenly Dad got nervous. He quietly snuck out to check on Alex! Heaven forbid, he gets in trouble while making him a surprise!!

Alex was in the kitchen, dressed up in Dad’s robe and socks and carrying Dad’s tooth brush in one hand and his clock in the other. Alex was pretending to be Dad, half asleep, “Where’s my breakfast, Wife!” while Mom laughed, hugging him.

Not a bad present, then Alex said, “Happy Valentine’s Day Mom!” and Dad suddenly remembered something he better go back out and get, immediately!

And another marriage was saved, by a child.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2300037-Saved-by-a-Child