*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301830-Home-Economics-Class
by Joseph
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2301830
2 ninth grade boys decide to take home economics
Home economics

“We will be the only guys in class with all those pretty girls”, Larry said as he tried to talk me into signing up for home economics for the ninth grade. Home economics with all girls instead of shop class with Mr. Brown and all the guys. Well I thought about it.
It didn't take long, heck yeah! Best idea I think Larry ever had. To be a fact, my good friend Larry was on the borderline of pure genius.
In the summer the Blue Ridge Mountains transform with magnificent colors from the orchards as the trees light up like Christmas trees with dotted red, orange green and yellow fruits maturing. Groves and orchards fill the landscape with the brilliant colors of peaches, cherries, and apples.
The warm summer breezes Are indescribable except to say a heavenly warmth that feels as if it might take you away in spirit.
So that's what we did for 9th grade, instead of taking shop like all the rest of the guys we were the only two guys to take home economics.
We were 9th graders at an intermediate (k-9) school, which made us seniors for the school.
A choice of being in a loud dusty woodworking shop class with all guys, or a class with comfortable furniture filled up with sophomore and senior girls.
Longeing on a nice comfortable couch in front of a window staring at the awesome summer-like days. We were in a class with about 20 of the prettiest, sweetest and friendliest girls you'll ever see. About half were in the 8th grade, the other half the ninth. A few of the 9th grade girls said they knew what we were doing and they weren't going to have any part in it. That changed when they saw the 8th grade girls spoiling us and waiting on us hand and foot. The ninth grade girls decided they just couldn't have that. They would have to show them how to make us work. That didn't work, They were worse than the sophomores.
Then when it comes time to learn to cook. It was obvious we needed help. Plenty of help was given. We set there and the girls would bring us cherries made into pies and peaches made into Cobblers.Figs Made into cookies.
We tried to help out but the girls just would not hear of it. They would let us bring in what we could. So we did pick some cherries and peaches, even some figs from Grandma's prized fig trees. Whatever else we can find and bring would magically turn into a delicious meal prepared for us.
The hardest thing about home economics was deciding which girls we were going to let help us any given day. I have to say we were very fair. We made sure they all got a turn. Let me tell you, country girls are gifted when it comes to cooking.
Have you ever had homemade ice cream made with fresh peaches? If not, you have to try it. Take my word for it, I guarantee it'll be the best treat you'll ever taste.
I did learn some things in home ec class though. Let me give you this recipe for Refrigerator Blackberry pie.
You will need 2 baked deep dish pie crust or you can use graham cracker crust. Approximately two cups of blackberries, preferably fresh. If you must buy from the store by Canned drained berries not pie filling. One large Cool Whip or two small ones. One 8 oz pack of cream cheese. One can Eagle brand milk, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar. Cream all ingredients together except berries. Fold berries into mixture with a spoon. Pour into pie shells and refrigerate. Easy enough for such a delicacy.
We were truly having the best year ever until that one day. Seemed like just another normal day but when we got to the class everyone was in a strange way. They had this huge kettle filled with boiling water. And they were all looking at us really strangely.
I said that sure is a huge kettle of boiling water but what are you going to put in it?
It's soup day. Today's special is going to be man soup.

713 words
© Copyright 2023 Joseph (cuzzinjoe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301830-Home-Economics-Class