*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301842-I--I-Who-Have-Nothing
by Naomi
Rated: E · Documentary · Music · #2301842
My Winning Song in Junior High School original singer: Shirley Bassey
I , I Who Have Nothing

A song I always love to sing. I was 15 years old, tall, tan with below my shoulder jet hair and slender during my high school days...up to this time
I maintained my weight. I never gain weight regardless of how plenty of food and fruits I eat.

There was this Private Schools Association Literary Musical
Competition in our Province. There were more than twenty schools competing. My Pilipino teacher, Pilipino is our National Dialect and sometimes called Tagalog dialect and eventually our National Language, her name was Virgie Escasinas. She told me to stay at the classroom while everyone went out. I was wondering why.

She said " You will represent our school in the Literary Musical Contest and it is in English and Pilipino.
A declamation in Pilipino and a song in English. Please tell your parents that after class we have a practice for one hour in a week."

I did not reply. She said " You are the best to qualify as our contestant and it was decided by the Faculty and the Father Director of the school. I hope and wish that you agree."

"Yes ! Ma'am , I agree ! " I replied.

She gave me a typewritten declamation piece of 20 stanzas and said:
" Memorize this in 3 days. After three days we will practice. Today is Monday..We will practice only in Thursday and Friday and the contest will be on Saturday. Can You make it ?"
She asked me.

" I do my best Ma'am". I smiled and asked her in return , " How About the song , Maam ? "

She looked at me.." No need for you to practice because we all know you can sing very well. I have a special request which is also very nice song for your voice, the one you sang on our Father Director's Birthday Program, I Who Have Nothing, After the last day of the Declamation rehearsal, You also sing that song again in front of all of us, the Faculty only."

" Yes ! Maam " I smiled again.
Before I left she gave me a box of white rabbit milk candy and a big pack of Chocnut my favorite chocolates.
She added : " I told our driver to bring me some of that from the city and I will give you more of these by tomorrow afternoon. You can share it with your parents and siblings".

"WOW ! " My only reply.
We both left the classroom. Me, went home while she went to the Faculty Cottage where the teachers stayed.

When I arrived home I showed to Papa and Mama the piece of "Sisa " and told them about the contest while we were all having dinner. Mama divided the White Rabbit candies and. Chocnut to all of us siblings while she and Papa had their share too.

My brother Nelson commented, " Can you memorize that in three days Mi " Mi is a shortcut for Naomi. Another brother Jerey , commented" Of course she can !" I smiled to all of them. Nelson said " You do not need a nice dress for that because the story of Sisa is a crazy woman when her sons Basilio and Crispin were being shot dead by Spanish soldiers , you may wear my t shirt for fishing" . We all laughed.

Papa and Mama decided to buy a new dress for me for the singing contest as all my dresses except for my school uniforms are hand me downs from my three older sisters, me being the youngest..then Mama changed her mind and said
: I still have some red clothing material. I will sew a dress for you for the Singing Contest". I was so excited.

Contest Day
I was wearing the Red A line design dress personally made by Mama. My three younger brothers were joking : " You Change the title of your song from I , I who have nothing to :
I, I Have A New Dress !" Laughters filled our home sweet home.

Mama, also a beautician, combed my hair and made a French twist by putting a very small ribbon at the back of the 1/4 part of my hair which was being tied by a red rubberband. My younger brothers told Mama not to put on any make up on on my face but apply only a Johnson's Baby powder on my face and baby cologne on my hair.
My younger brothers were my critics when I was in High School as my older sisters were in the city studying college.

So with my red dress, red ribbon on my hair and a red flat shoes I was ready. The Auditorium was filled with people. The panel of the Board of Judges were sitting at the left side of the stage. The pianist and guitarist at the right side. The singer performed at the center stage.

There were 15 contestants. When my time or turn to sing the Emcee asked ;:
" How old and how tall are you ? You are taller than me " He was called Mr. Cantones by everyone. A tall teacher.
" I am 15 and I am 5 feet 8 inches" i replied. The audience was exclaiming " Wow.. Basketball star"
He asked me again : " Do you play basketball?"
I replied , " No , Sir. I have a younger brother who is a six footer and a Basketball Star in his school.
The audience shouted " Nelson ! Nelson !"
My brother was very popular in our place and Mr. Cantones exclaimed: " oh ! Yes.. Now I know why you are very tall!" the audience were laughing.
Then he announced:
" Representing San Juan High School of Moalboal Cebu, let us all welcome Naomi." He moved to his chair near the judges.

The pianist played and the guitarist too.
Then only the piano continued . The Auditorium was so silent you can hear a needle being dropped.
I started singing the song of Shirley Bassey which was being popularized over the radio by our own Filipina Recording Artist , MERCi MOLINA.

I sang from my heart with deepest passion.

I, I who have nothing
I, I who have no one
Adore you and want you so
I'm just a no one with nothing to give you at all.
I Love You.

You, you buy her diamonds
Bright sparkling diamonds
But believe me Dear when I say
Thatshe can give you the world
But never love you the way
I love you.


You can take her to any place she wants
To fancy clubs and restaurants
But I can only watch you with
My nose pressed up against the window pain

I , I who have nothing
I , I who have no one
Must watch you go dancing by
Wrapped in the arms of somebody else
But darling it is I
Who loves you
Who loves you.
Who loves You.

I bowed.
I received a very warm applause and the audience were shouting: Naomi, Naomi, Naomi ".

I won the First Prize tnat made me very popular in school and everyone wanted to be my friend.
YES...I was everybody's.friend.

Thank You , I, I Who Have Nothing.

In the Afternoon I joined the Declamation contest. My hair was ponytail and I wore the Tshirt of my brother for fishing and the long skirt of Mama. I recited a heavy drama of the life of Sisa. . I cried then I laughed as I shouted. "Basilio ! Crispin !
Mga Anak Nasaan kayo " My children where are you ?"
The audience was mesmerized by my actions that some cried and laughed too. It was a contest I never ever forget to act as a crazy woman.
I won the First Prize too.
The faculty members gave me more and more chocolates and White Rabbit candies. I had the great moments of my life.

Thank You LORD for Everything...




August 08, 2023
Tuesday





© Copyright 2023 Naomi (akomagsusulat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2301842-I--I-Who-Have-Nothing