*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302523-LOCKDOWN
Rated: E · Script/Play · Drama · #2302523
A doomsday parable with Christian implications
LOCKDOWN

______________

A Pandemic Doomsday Parable

by

Jim Binz
2023









1212 Zeno Lane
Allison Park, PA 15201
Cell: 412-303-8607
E-mail:jf.binz@gmail.com





CAST OF CHARACTERS


CENSCIE: Late 20’s, F new research assistant at Lockdown Pod 7, Epidemic Control Center. Dressed in a white lab coat over a pretty dress.
HUNTER: Mid 30’s, M feral. Dressed in boots, jeans and a flannel shirt.
WILLIE: 70’s, M black, the Final Prophet of God.



SCENE

Interior of Lockdown Pod 7 - an Epidemic Control Center data collection unit. Industrial Door up center with large red light over, environmental diagnostic equipment throughout, 2 cots - left and right. Cabinets with supplies (MREs and Mogen David wine).



TIME
Soon




Lights up on WILLIE, center stage.


WILLIE
I began to hear a voice. No one else could hear it. The voice gave me important information. It was an oracle. An oracle that was never ending. I was convicted, chosen and pushed out of my home, my family, my work. I tried to make it stop. But I soon came to realize that I am the chosen one. I am the final prophet of the One True God Almighty. I am the last carrier of the final oracles. I must tell the people of the judgment and the salvation. I am the final prophet of God. The Final.

(he moves to a corner upstage and lies down. Shortly after, enter CENSCIE)

CENSCIE
Dr. Rosen? Doctor? The pod has locked down and we are secured. Doctor Rosen? Doctor Bob? Hello? Doctor Bob?

HUNTER
(waking on one of the cots) ARRRR!

CENSCIE
Hey! Who are you? What are you doing here?

HUNTER
Who are you?

CENSCIE
What happened to Dr. Rosen?

HUNTER
Who? Who are you?

CENSCIE
I work here. This is a secure medical facility! What are you doing in here?

HUNTER
I WAS sleeping.

CENSCIE
How did you get in? Where is Doctor Rosen?

HUNTER
Look, is this a problem, lady?

CENSCIE
This is a catastrophe!

HUNTER
Hey, no sweat, I’ll just leave.

CENSCIE
YOU CAN’T! The POD has locked down.

HUNTER
The what? I don’t care, I can leave anytime I want.

CENSCIE
You don’t understand, the POD is locked. No one can go in or out. What have you done with Dr. Rosen?

HUNTER
I didn’t do nothin’. You’re crazy, I’m leavin’.

CENSCIE
Listen to me, the POD is locked! The door is locked! We can not get out!

HUNTER
Maybe YOU can’t get out - I’m leaving.

CENSCIE
How did you get in here? Doctor Rosen is supposed to be here, not you! What did you do? Where is Dr. Rosen?


HUNTER
Was he some chubby little guy with a coat like yours? I think I knocked him out. He wouldn’t let me in. He didn’t need to be a jerk about it.

CENSCIE
You what? Wait. You hurt Dr. Rosen and you tossed him…? No. NO!

HUNTER
He was a jerk. He was askin’ for it.

CENSCIE
Doctor Rosen is the lead scientist for this POD. He… he has the master code to start the collection. He… he has the plan and he… he… he designed the POD! I just started a few weeks ago!

HUNTER
So open the door. He’s probably just outside.

CENSCIE
I CAN’T OPEN THE DOOR! A catastrophic event has occurred. We are locked in until the all clear - WHICH CAN NOT HAPPEN WITHOUT THE MASTER CODE THAT ONLY DOCTOR ROSEN HAS!

HUNTER
You’re out of your mind. Just get a grip! What’s the worst that can happen?

CENSCIE
THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN? We are doomed! We are stuck here forever. We can’t get out! We could be the last 2 people on earth. And we can’t get out of here.

HUNTER
Really? Last two? You and me, huh? So, like we would have to start things up again?

CENSCIE
Not on your life. Don’t you understand what has happened?

HUNTER
C’mon. Take off the coat and show me what we’re workin’ with.

CENSCIE
Don’t you dare come near me. I can and I will protect myself.

HUNTER
If I felt like it, I could just take what I want. Who could stop me?

CENSCIE
Don’t try it.

HUNTER
Fine. Okay, so when can we get out of here?

CENSCIE
I don’t know for certain. Dr. Rosen had the master code to begin the procedure to detect the all clear. Without him, we might be here for days or weeks. Maybe even months. Maybe forever.

HUNTER
Oh, that’s crazy. I’m not stayin’ caged up in here. I’ll bust my way out.

CENSCIE
YOU CAN’T GET OUT! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT! What you did was illegal! It was…it was… illogical! It was just completely wrong!

HUNTER
I do what I want, lady. He didn’t have to be a jerk about it.

CENSCIE
Oh, this is a disaster.

HUNTER
Wait a minute, hold on! Did Joey set this up? Is this one of Joey’s practical jokes? Is it?

CENSCIE
I don’t know any Joey. This is definitely not a joke.

HUNTER
It’s just like Joey. What a jerk! C’mon out, Joey! You got me, man, you got me good!

CENSCIE
There is no joke. There is no Joey. This is serious!

HUNTER
Ha! I bet! Okay, I’ll go along. So, what’s this thing?

CENSCIE
If you must know, this is an official data gathering POD for the ECC. It was built to gather data from the catastrophic event and analyze the environment outside to supply the all clear. The data collected will be used to scientifically understand and stop future catastrophic events.

HUNTER
(applauding) Good speech. Lot’s of mumbo jumbo. JOEY!

(suddenly WILLIE rises from his corner)

WILLIE
The Lord God says: “The world has lost all righteousness. The time is now for repentance!”

HUNTER
Hey! Shut up! And keep it shut! Go back to your corner, you old wino!

CENSCIE
Wait. Who? Who are you? How did you…?

HUNTER
Oh, he’s just some old wino, he snuck in here after me. I almost killed him last night with his preaching. He better just keep his mouth shut.

CENSCIE
NO! This is horrible! The POD is designed for two people only. We have supplies and room for two. How am I supposed to get this to work? I don’t know the code. I don’t know the systems. We’re going to die here. TWO BREACHES! NO!

WILLIE
The Lord God Jehovah says: “When the last vestiges of honor have faded from the earth the time has come to repent in the name of the Lord and find your salvation. Acknowledge the errors of your ways and petition the Lord God for your very soul.”

HUNTER
I said shut it! If you don’t knock it off, I will kill you! You understand? Lady, if you know how to open that door, you need to do it before I choke him. I can’t stand being trapped. You gotta find a way to get us all out. NOW!

CENSCIE
I’ll do what I can. Old man, you need to stop. Don’t antagonize him. I’ll make sure you have enough to survive.

WILLIE
Thank you. I am Willie, the final prophet of God Almighty. I cannot stop.

CENSCIE
Yeah, sure. I’m Censcie, nice to meet you. Like I said, I’ll try to make sure you are all right.

HUNTER
Since we’re doing the introductions, I’m Hunter. It’s my name AND it’s what I do. You got anything to drink around here?

CENSCIE
Those cabinets above the cots have supplies.

HUNTER
Great, let’s check it out. (he opens the cabinets to reveal cases of MREs and Mogen David wine- He brings a case of each down) Lookie here! Wine!

CENSCIE
Doctor Rosen was a devout Jew, he stocked that for his religious ceremonies.

HUNTER
Well, that ain’t gonna happen. (he opens the case of wine, opens the bottle and drinks) Yuk! Church wine. The worst. But hey, any port in a storm, right? You want a sip, Wino? I’ll share but you gotta stop the preachin’. Okay?

WILLIE
(he takes the bottle and almost drinks, but then he tosses the bottle into his corner where it shatters)

NO! Do not tempt me, Satan! I bring a sacred message from the Lord!

HUNTER
Grrr! That’s it for you, wino. I’m not sharin’ anymore. You can sit in your corner and shake! I know you, you’ll be licking up that wine from the floor in a couple of hours and then beggin’ me for more. Well you can just go to that corner and die. (he opens another bottle and continuously drinks throughout).

CENSCIE
Please, just be quiet and let me concentrate.

HUNTER
Sure, honey. You go right ahead. As long as you get us out of here pretty soon. Hey, you know, if the machines are computers and they ain’t working right - sometimes you can fix that by restartin’ them. Like, just unplug it and count to 20 and plug it back in. Sometimes that can fix everything.

CENSCIE
I doubt that it will be that simple. And I’m afraid that we might lose what little data we have already collected by doing that. No, I need to see if I can recall the master code. But, I only saw it a few times.

HUNTER
Ah, suit yourself. I’m not so good with computers. Too much crazy stuff. It don’t make good sense, you know?

CENSCIE
Please, just let me think.

HUNTER
Oh sure. Sure. Don’t mind me. I rattle on sometimes. Part of my nature. I’m like an old dog at the window, just barkin’ away. Sometimes there’s danger and sometimes there ain’t. See? It’s all natural. Nature and instincts and well, I never go against nature. It tells me the right thing to do and I just follow it and stay true.

CENSCIE
Well, I believe that man is more than just an animal. We have intellect, learning, and experience. We have science.

HUNTER
Nah, you just don’t get it. Man, I miss livin’ in the woods. I might go back there. It’s nice. Wide open and quiet and peaceful. Sun and shade, movin’ water and soft ground. Birds and leaves and nothin’ man made. Sleepin’ under the stars and livin’ life. Hey, why don’t you take a break and relax? Maybe that code thing will come to you if you stop trying so hard? Just stop and chill out for a while.




CENSCIE
Well, that might be best. At the very least, I’m not getting anywhere now, so I might as well take a break from it.

HUNTER
Sure! Come sit with me!

CENSCIE
No, thank you. I’ll stay right here. And you stay over there. I don’t trust you.

HUNTER
That’s ok. It usually takes a while for the chicks to come round to me. I’m a patient guy. I don’t mind.

CENSCIE
This is a catastrophe! Oh, why did you break in here last night?

HUNTER
I was just lookin’ for a place to sleep. Didn’t feel like walkin’ all the way home. That guy didn’t need to be such a jerk about it. He was acting all important, one punch is all it took. Ha!

CENSCIE
Well that wasn’t very smart. He is a very important person. And if I can’t figure out the code… Well, if we get out of here, you better hope he doesn’t press charges for assault and battery! If we… well, he would do it, too!

HUNTER
I don’t care. He comes for me - I’ll knock him out again.

CENSCIE
This pod has been in planning for years and you might have ruined everything in one dumb selfish act. How could you do that?

HUNTER
Ha! I’m a beast, baby. (he howls) I just do whatever feels good. I never think that far ahead. I never plan. I just go for the gusto! Sweetheart, I‘m an animal. We all are. We do what feels right and we use our instincts to get us through. You spend too much time in your head, doll. You have a big brain, but it’s blocking your real nature.

CENSCIE
We have intelligence. We’re not just dumb animals, we have reason and learning. Little children follow their instincts because they don’t know any better. But adults have experience and education and should think about things like consequences and outcomes. You can’t just go through life doing what feels right.

HUNTER
Ha! I can. I do! You ever tried it?

CENSCIE
No. And it’s really none of your business.

HUNTER
Yeah, yeah, okay. You’re sure wrapped up tight. Don’t you ever take time for fun! You ever just go a little crazy? Get the zoomies? Run around just for the heck of it?

CENSCIE
No. Never. I don’t do that. You know, I do think you are kind of fascinating, from a scientific viewpoint.

HUNTER
Oh yeah? How?

CENSCIE
Well, from a purely scientific perspective, it’s interesting to see the point of arrested development you display. That you got stuck in a phase and never moved on.



HUNTER
I’M STUCK??? Doc, you need to look in a mirror! You’re an uptight little Princess! I bet you ain’t experienced real life for even a minute.

CENSCIE
I’ve experienced plenty of life. You don’t know me.

HUNTER
I know what I see.

WILLIE
The Lord God knows that you have abandoned your true nature and have lost the path of righteousness laid out for you.

HUNTER
You don’t know nothin about me. You can just shut your trap. I don’t need your preachin at me. I’m doin fine.

CENSCIE
I’m going to look through the manual and see if the master code or a bypass code is listed. Why don’t you take a nap or something?

HUNTER
Nope. Grrr. Not tired. What kind of MRE’s do we have, huh? Let me see…(he reads from the box) 2 cases of Genuine U.S. Military MRE Meals ready to eat. Case A and B bundles with Menus 1 through 24. Each kit includes entree, sides, snacks, drink, dessert, accessories and flameless ration heater. Shelf life 5 to 7 years.

(he opens one of the boxes and pulls out contents)

There’s chili, spaghetti, beef taco, meatballs in marinara, chicken stew, beef ravioli, Tuna, Asian style beef strips, southwest style beef and black beans, brisket, chicken noodles, Barbeque beef, chicken burrito bowl..

CENSCIE
Please, enough. Eat what you like, just stop talking.

HUNTER
Do you have a favorite? Maybe I could heat somethin’ up for you?

CENSCIE
No, thank you. Help yourself, though.

HUNTER
My mom used to work as a waitress. She worked at a nice restaurant and they let her bring home some of the leftover food every night. We ate pretty good. When my father would come home, drunk and broke, he would beat mom and throw her around. I hated him. He worked in a steel mill, midnight shift. The steelworkers would go to this bar in the morning and they would drink and play cards. He would always end up drunk and broke. Then he would come home all angry and stupid. One time, he took me deer huntin’. I was too young to have a gun. We sat in the woods for a long time. I really liked that. When we saw the deer, it was just wanderin’ around looking for breakfast. Innocent and natural. I didn’t cry when he shot that deer. I haven’t thought about that for a long time.

CENSCIE
I was a vegan for a while. I saw a documentary about animal farming and I couldn’t eat meat after that.

HUNTER
Nope. Not for me. I’m a true meat eater. What do you call them?
CENSCIE
Carnivores.

HUNTER
Yeah. That’s me. Meat and potatoes. Top of the food chain!

CENSCIE
Fine, eat whatever you like, just keep quiet and let me concentrate. I have to find that Master Code!

HUNTER
Okay Okay. I’ll try to be quiet. I don’t think it will help though. I don’t think you’ll ever remember that code. You’re trying too hard.

CENSCIE
I have no choice. I don’t know what else I can do. I can’t stay locked up with you. Something has to work.

WILLIE
The Lord God says that He has granted you dominion over all the creatures of the earth, to protect them and nurture them. But you have destroyed habitats and killed for sport. You must ask for forgiveness for your base desires and acts. You can be forgiven, but you must act now.

HUNTER
Go away. You don’t know what you’re talking about! I’m not listening to you! Sweetheart, give me a chance! I bet I can get that door open in no time.

CENSCIE
No! You just stay put and leave everything alone. I know you think of yourself as some sort of natural wonder, trusting your instincts and doing what you feel will work without any basis in facts or knowledge. But that’s how things get broken and plans get ruined. I don’t understand how you can go through life like that. Nature is more than just feelings and going through life like a dumb animal, it requires physics and knowledge and understanding. It requires knowing how something will act and react according to laws and rules.

HUNTER
Like knowin’ that your friend was gonna be a jerk and get himself locked out of here?

CENSCIE
That should never have happened! You did that! You broke the rules and did something supremely stupid. Because of you, the experiment is not working. You’ve ruined everything and we are trapped in this place.

HUNTER
Well, if your science was so good, it should have predicted me. You should have seen me comin’ and had a plan B.

CENSCIE
That’s a very good point. We should have had a contingency plan. That was certainly not very thorough of us. We relied too much on technology and that everything would proceed according to the plan. We didn’t prepare for the human error side. Certainly science teaches us that we must consider many possible outcomes for each theory. Thesis to hypothesis and eventually to truth and fact. No room for error.

HUNTER
You know, I’m startin’ to understand why them old winos like this cheap church wine. Once you get used to the taste, you can really get a nice buzz. I knew this girl once who liked to drink wine. She could drink a lot. I took her in the woods at a party one time and she let me feel her up under her shirt. Before we knew it, I had her pants down and we were going at it. She fought a little, but she liked it in the end. That’s women, in the end they all have a good time. They want to be treated special and then they get their freak on. Is that how you are?

CENSCIE
No. I am not like that.

HUNTER
Oh? What are you like?

CENSCIE
None of your business.

HUNTER
I told you about me.

CENSCIE
I don’t remember asking.

HUNTER
I bet you’re very uptight in the sex area. You know?. Gotta be seduced. Wined and dined? Need to feel special first?

CENSCIE
You will never know. I’m not comfortable with this kind of talk, why don’t you just keep quiet and let me work on this code?

HUNTER
OK. OK. I’ll try. But, I really hate being caged. I can’t relax. Just ignore me if you want. I’m going kind of crazy in here. I used to get locked in a closet when I was a kid. I destroyed the inside of that closet with my bare hands. Scraped the paint and the plaster off with my fingernails. I busted out through the door and the wall. The dark didn’t scare me, but the thought that I was in a trap made me crazy. I couldn’t accept it. My father was mad. I’m startin’ to feel that way in here. I’m gonna need to get out pretty soon or I might lose it. I remember one time I heard a story about a guy who was trapped on a mountainside. His arm was caught in a rock and he couldn’t get it loose no matter how hard he tried. His only way off the mountain was to take this little pen knife he had and saw his arm off. Man, I know how he felt. Like, whatever it takes, you gotta get out.

CENSCIE
You’d have to be pretty desperate for that. Just keep drinking that wine, it might help your anxiety.

HUNTER
Yeah, okay, but either YOU get us out of here or I WILL.

CENSCIE
Just calm yourself. Don’t get all excited. I’m working on it.

HUNTER
Like I said, if you don’t, I will.

CENSCIE
Well, I doubt that. But, I’ll try to find a way. There must be a bypass code to this. Or, I just need to remember the master code. I’ve seen it once. I have a terrific memory, it’s not didactic, but it’s pretty close. I can’t find anything in the user manual to override the code.

HUNTER
Funny, the more I drink, the more I remember stuff. How it felt to be abandoned in the woods without anyone who cared about me. How it felt to see my father kill my mom. How I hated that closet.

CENSCIE
Your father killed your mother?

HUNTER
Yeah. When I was a kid, my father killed my mother. Strangled her. Right in front of me. He went to jail. I went to foster. The family I lived with didn’t care what I did. I pretty much lived in the woods. I ate wild plants and learned to hunt and trap. After a while, I just stopped coming home and they never missed me.

CENSCIE
That’s horrible. You poor guy.

HUNTER
No big deal. I learned from nature. I survived.

WILLIE
The Lord says: God’s wonderful creation saved you, but you failed to protect it and you abused your high position. You were created to a greater purpose and you have ignored your true calling. You must repent to be saved.



HUNTER
I ain’t repenting or anything else for you, old man. Go away! You leave me alone! My father was murdered in prison last week. Ruined my plans to find him and kill him myself. I was really looking forward to that.

CENSCIE
Oh my! How horrifying for you. I’m sorry you had such a hard life. You didn’t deserve that.

HUNTER
Thanks, nice of you.

CENSCIE
Sure.

HUNTER
I’m really feeling this wine.

CENSCIE
Why don’t you go lie down and sleep for a while? I’ll wake you if the door opens.

HUNTER
No thanks. I ain’t tired. You want some?

CENSCIE
No. Thank you. I really need to concentrate.

HUNTER
Suit yerself. Last time I got drunk on wine was back when Joey and I was huntin’ small game in the valley. Whew! That was some time. Couple months ago. Joey got a bunch of squirrels and I took down a big fat muskrat. Man, we ate good. I found some burdock root and some chickweed and made a tasty side dish. We gathered some berries and we made a cobbler, too. Heh heh, I remember Joey had too much of the wine and puked up squirrel for hours. HA! Poor dude. I had to find him some peppermint leaves to make a tea. He slept like a baby after that. Yeah, I know my way around the woods, y’see? That was a good time. That muskrat sat up lookin’ all around. Thought he was safe. POW! I nailed him right between the eyes. Instant kill. Had a nice pelt, too. I believe I still have it hanging in the garage. Waitin’ for me to get to it, make a hat or somethin’. I miss the woods.

CENSCIE
Well, it certainly sounds like you do well there.

HUNTER
Oh, sure, no doubt. I had a buddy who once told me that he bet he could drop me off in the middle of nowhere and come back 3 months later and I would weigh 20 pounds more and have a fur coat! I’d love to test that idea out! I bet I could do it!

CENSCIE
Did you ever marry? Have kids?

HUNTER
Grrr. Yep. Big mistake. She was sweet in the beginning, but she changed after a while. She got the religion. Stopped bein’ natural with me. Only wanted sex to have babies. Lectured me all the time that I was surely goin’ straight to hell. Cuz of the drinkin’ and fightin’ and livin’ in the woods and not goin’ to church and stuff. She got pregnant, just like she wanted and we had a little one. A girl. Sweet. Dimples and curls and laughin’ all the time. When she left me she took most of my stuff. I didn’t care. Let her go. I’d rather be alone. I miss the little girl, though. She was the apple of my eye. You know, they deduct part of my pay each week and send it for support? I don’t mind. Wish she didn’t take my fishin’ stuff. I miss my old rods and reels. I’m back to bamboo and worm fishin’ again. Old school, y’know? I don’t know why she took my old stuff, just wantin’ to be mean, I guess. She got to where she couldn’t stand anything that made me happy. Maybe that's why I can’t take the old preachin’ wino back there. I never did get the religion. I’m thankful for the beauty of the woods and the animals. I believe in nature. The Church ruined everything for me.

CENSCIE
I understand. As a scientist, I have trouble with churches, too.

HUNTER
See? We have a lot in common. Come sit with me and we can git to know each other.

CENSCIE
No, thank you. You stay put, I’m fine over here.

HUNTER
Damn. You’re a tough one. But, you know, you look a little bit like the girl in our office. She does the phones. She looks like you, except she wears short skirts and high heels and low cut tops and stuff. Damn. Make a man go crazy sometimes. She knows it, too. Always flirtin’ and posin’ and gigglin’. Oh, she knows. She has the hots for the boss. She’d like nothin’ better than to have him leave his wife and family and run off with her. He’s a rich guy. He come from a rich family and he has a college degree in engineerin’ and he inherited the company when his father in law passed. I think he hates bein’ the boss. I believe he’d rather just golf all day and relax. If I had that kind of money, I sure wouldn’t show up at a construction site every day. I’d have the best huntin’ gear and go on a world wide safari. Africa. South America. Asia. Big game! Shoot me a elephant. Or a lion! Somethin’ dangerous. Prove I could do it. King of the wild! That’s me. King of the damn wild!

CENSCIE
That sounds nice for you. However, the world might have actually ended while we were in here. There might not be any woods or jungles of Africa anymore. What you see might be all that is left of our world. Your hunting skills would be worthless with nothing to hunt.

HUNTER
I sure hope it ain’t so. Maybe what’s happenin’ out there ain’t as bad as you think. Maybe it’s just a mistake in your machine. Machinery can mess up. Once we get out, we might find that nothing has happened. It’s all just like we left it and only time has passed.

CENSCIE
That would be nice. I hope so, too.

WILLIE
The Lord God says that you know that your hope has already been doomed. You will not survive. You have lost your innocence and your true purpose. You are not meant to be a great killer of the natural world. You have a last and final chance to ask for forgiveness and grace. The oracle is clear.

HUNTER
Are you done? Can you stop with the nonsense? I don’t want to hear it anymore. Just go away. Y’know, this wine ain’t so bad once you get used to it.

CENSCIE
I bet.

HUNTER
I’m gettin’ a nice buzz here.

CENSCIE
I’m glad you’ve calmed down.

HUNTER
Yeah. For now.

CENSCIE
So, tell me about your mother.

HUNTER
Momma? Momma was beautiful. She kept plants and herbs for medicines and stuff. She knew a lot. Momma had a real green thumb for that stuff. Where I got mine, I guess. I was pretty young. Dad was, you know, a drunk. Momma stayed with him cuz of me, I think. He come home that one morning, drunk as a skunk. He hit her and I ran over and punched him. He kicked me into a corner. I was too little to hurt him. Momma got in a rage when he kicked me and she charged him. She blacked his eye. I thought he was gonna stop after that, but he just got angrier and he grabbed her. He tore her dress down the front and punched her a bunch of times. Then he grabbed Momma by the throat and started chokin’ her. Didn’t say anything. It was real quiet. Momma just stopped breathin’ and stopped fightin’ and just slumped over. He dropped her to the ground and stood there staring’. Man, I hated him more than I ever hated anything in the world. When I was a teenager, I used to dream about huntin’ him down and torturin’ him to death. I’d tie him to a big oak tree in the middle of the woods and burn him a little at a time. Then I’d chop off a finger or two. Take a hammer to his teeth and bash them all out. Nail his feet to the roots of the tree. I dreamt every night about how I would make his life a living hell. But, now he got whacked in the prison yard for being a jerk to someone else. I won’t get the chance to kill him. Somebody beat me to it. It ain’t fair. Jest ain’t fair.

CENSCIE
I’m so sorry.

HUNTER
Why? You didn’t do nothin’.

CENSCIE
I’m sorry that all of this happened to you. It’s sad.

HUNTER
I may never get over it, but that’s on me. Someday, he and me, we will meet again, maybe in another world. He’s mine then. All mine. I’m a patient hunter, I can wait it out. Whatever it takes. Wherever it goes. Whenever I get the chance. Hey, how you doin’ with gettin’ us out of here?

CENSCIE
I’ve been checking the manual, but I can’t see the master code or bypass info in here. There doesn’t seem to be a way to go forward without it. Unless, maybe there’s another manual? I wonder if Doctor Rosen kept the code in with his personal gear? I can go and check.

HUNTER
Yeah. You go check. I’ll just sit here. Maybe catch a nap or somethin’, y’know?

CENSCIE
Good. Yes, don’t touch anything, okay? I’ll get us out. Trust me.

HUNTER
You got it. I’ll just sit here and wait.

CENSCIE
And don’t let Willie touch anything either, okay?

HUNTER
That old wino just needs to stay away from me. I don’t like him and his talk. He needs to just stay away.

CENSCIE
Okay. I’ll be right back.

(she exits to the back)

WILLIE
The Lord God says that you have sealed your doom. Go ahead! Deny your nature. Go ahead! Meet your fate.

HUNTER
Shut up! Machinery. Computers. Grrrr. You just gotta restart it. It’s the only way. She’s smart but this is takin’ too long. I bet I can get that door to open. I bet I can.

(HUNTER rises and staggers to the console. He opens a lower level door and peers in.)

I don’t see a plug. Lot’s of colored wires and stuff. I bet if I tore it all out, the doors would open right up. I bet they would. It ain’t technical, it’s just sense. C’mon Hunter! Tear out the wires, unplug the beast.

(HUNTER reaches in and tears out a handful of wires - the machine comes to a sudden stop)

Okay. That oughta do it!

(CENSCIE enters with a small notebook)

CENSCIE
I found Doctor Rosen’s notes, I bet the master code is in… WHAT DID YOU DO?

HUNTER
I got tired of being cooped up - I ripped out the guts and now that door ain’t locked anymore.

CENSCIE
Really?

(HUNTER goes to the industrial door and tries it. It is still locked solid)

CENSCIE
What made you think you could do that? I told you not to touch anything! We’ll never get out of here now! Oh my God! You big drunken fool! How could you? How could you do this? I was so close to getting us out of here! GET AWAY FROM THERE! I can’t believe this!



HUNTER
Hey, I gave you plenty of time to get us out. It’s my turn now. I’m gonna rip a hole in one of these walls and I will be out of here.


CENSCIE
NO! I don’t want you to do anything else. You caused this entire problem and now you’ve ruined our one good chance to fix everything. That data collection machine is extremely valuable and sensitive and now we are surely offline and out of luck! We have no chance of getting out of here. You! You! Just stay away and keep quiet. I’m done with you.

HUNTER
You’re wrong. I’m taking over. You been trying to work on this forever and I can’t just sit around and watch you anymore. I will get us out of here. There ain’t a cage around that can hold me. This trap will open. I guarantee it.

CENSCIE
You’re wrong! Stay away from everything. You’ve done enough damage! I can’t believe this! I can’t believe you did that! What kind of dumb, stupid animal are you? Why did you think that tearing out wiring would help anything? That’s the stupidest thing anyone has ever done!

HUNTER
Hey, don’t call me stupid. You couldn’t get anywhere and you had lots of time. I waited as long as I could. I’m warnin’ you - don’t get me angry!

CENSCIE
It was not your right to do anything. YOU caused this catastrophe! YOU caused us to be stuck in here! It was YOU who put us in this spot! I am the only one who can save us. This is MY pod! My Job! My responsibility. Just go away.

HUNTER
NO! Your time is up. I’m takin’ over. YOU go away. I’ll get us out of here one way or another. Just go sit and look pretty. I got this.

CENSCIE
Look! I’ve had it with you! I don’t know what you think you are - but here, I’m the one in charge! You’re drunk and stupid and you set us backward. You’ve done enough damage now. Just go sit down.

HUNTER
No. YOU sit down. Or I’ll sit you down.

CENSCIE
You wouldn’t dare!

(HUNTER goes to her and they struggle. He grabs her by the throat and begins choking her. She uppercuts him to the chin and knocks him out.)

Oh,now what? How can I fix this? How can we get out of here? Come on, Censie, think! Solve the problem and find a solution!

(WILLIE comes forward)

WILLIE
So, we appear to have a desperate situation?

CENSCIE
Yes. I don’t know any way out.

WILLIE
The machine is, for all intents and purposes, destroyed?

CENSCIE
Yes, it looks like that. Unless… well, maybe I can rewire it?


WILLIE
Do you have a wiring chart? A way to make those connections? Have you ever wired anything?

CENSCIE
Well, no. I’m not an engineer. I’m more of a data analyst and physicist. I’ve never done wiring.

WILLIE
I see. I, too, have no experience with electronic wiring.

CENSCIE
Of course. How can we get out of here? Maybe he’s right. Maybe I should have let him try? I’m all out of answers. He’ll be coming around soon.

WILLIE
(WILLIE goes to HUNTER and waves hands over him) He won’t wake up until we want him to. So, you’ve tried yelling at him. You’ve considered letting him go wild on everything. And you’ve considered giving up. Is that it?

CENSCIE
Do you have any better ideas?

WILLIE
As a matter of fact, I do. You could try to tap into the power of prayer?

CENSCIE
Sorry, I don’t believe in that. There’s nothing wrong with some people believing in some mystic power in the universe that can give them their heart’s desire, I just can’t buy it. It’s not logical and it isn’t scientific.

WILLIE
Has anything ever happened in your life that you couldn’t explain? That just didn’t make any sense?

CENSCIE
What? Like a miracle?

WILLIE
Precisely.

CENSCIE
I don’t believe in those, either.


WILLIE
Have you ever heard the story of the Doubting Thomas?

CENSCIE
Look, the world doesn’t run on stories. Observation of fact, data collection and evaluation, knowledge and education. Not fantasy, not fiction.

WILLIE
Well, it all certainly looks that way, doesn’t it? However, can we agree that there are occasionally observed phenomena that cannot be explained?

CENSCIE
Yet. Phenomena that cannot be explained yet. It is just a matter of research and time.

WILLIE
Fair enough. And when a scientist observes a phenomena that cannot be understood - yet - what can they do?

CENSCIE
Continue to gather data and continue to test and retest.

WILLIE
A scientific man named Democritus in 450 BC had faith that all matter was composed of smaller and smaller pieces. He conceived that atoms and sub atoms were possible, though he couldn’t begin to see them or prove their existence. He couldn’t disprove their existence either. Since he was the only person who thought this, many felt he was wrong and a fool. Now, he could have stopped there, or he could proceed with faith. He chose faith. From there, eventually, microscopes were invented and became strong enough to see at an atomic level. The proof we have today came along. In 450 BC, the world was not ready to understand atoms without faith. Just like you are not able to understand the spiritual world today without faith.



CENSCIE
Fine. You believe that if you like. It doesn’t help us in this situation. We are stuck here and likely will die here.

WILLIE
I would be willing to pray for a miracle.

CENSCIE
Sure. You do that.

WILLIE
Is that what it would take? You need to see a miracle here?

CENSCIE
Right now, I just want to get us all out of here. This was a huge mistake.

WILLIE
How very odd of you to say it like that.

CENSCIE
Well, you don’t know. It will probably actually take a miracle for this.

WILLIE
Faith is the cornerstone for so much in the world. Many “scientific” discoveries are made from just throwing ideas out and seeing if they work. It’s the “pasta on the wall” concept. Having faith that things like washing your hands will somehow lower infection rates. It works, but science didn’t know that when they first tried it in hospitals. Or that dietary changes can make heart disease and strokes decline. Or that we can transplant organs from a person or animal to another and survive. Or fluoridation. Vaccination. Safety Belts in cars. Storing food at proper temperatures. There are lots of modern day miracles which science claims credit for that were blundered on because of a reliance on faith. Only faith makes them work. Can you have faith without seeing?


CENSCIE
No. I can’t. I’ve seen proof of everything with the scientific method my entire life. I know that everything can be explained. There are no miracles. We don’t need faith, we have science.

WILLIE
(he sighs and goes to the machine. He stuffs the wiring back into the console and closes the door. He looks to the heavens briefly and then types on the keyboard. The machine jumps back to life and begins working)

Explain this then.

CENSCIE
WHAT?? Oh my! It’s working. It’s processing new data! It…it’s…how did you do that?

WILLIE
Miracle.

CENSCIE
That’s crazy! How could this work without the wiring? How could you know that code? How?

WILLIE
Miracle.

CENSCIE
Miracle? There are no miracles. There has never been a miracle. Coincidence, yes. Uncommon and rare events, maybe. But miracles - never.

WILLIE
It’s all a simple matter of perception. Do we agree that sometimes things can happen that we do not expect and therefore find impossible to understand?




CENSCIE
All things can eventually be explained. Reality is easy to believe because we see it and we understand it. We can theorize and see it proven out.

WILLIE
You saw this. Can you explain it?


CENSCIE
No. Is this reality?

WILLIE
Hmmm. Reality. Consider this thought about reality: If a man placed a coin in a closed and locked drawer one day and then on the next day he placed a second coin, science would say that there would be two coins in the locked drawer. That is what would be seen and understood and proven. Reality. However, if someone unseen entered the drawer and removed the coins, the scientist would only be able to prove that the coins had disappeared. Unexplainable. There would be no observable facts. It would either be impossible or it would be a miracle. Science is not equipped to see miracles.

CENSCIE
Because you can’t prove a miracle. You have no way of actually knowing. You can’t create a theorem and data.

WILLIE
True, you must proceed with faith. You have to believe that the world has more in existence than just what you can sense and prove. The smartest person and most advanced computer can only prove what the least intelligent creature can see and hear and touch. Can you see that there is so much more to the world than that?

CENSCIE
I hear what you are saying, but the entirety of human existence has been culminated in the knowledge, experience and education of mankind up to our times. If there was a way to actually know what you are saying, it would be scientifically provable.

WILLIE
So prove what happened.

CENSCIE
(She looks under the console. The wiring is intact)

It’s all fixed. Did I dream that he ripped it all out? Did that really happen? Am I awake?

WILLIE
Maybe you are becoming more awake than you have ever been.

CENSCIE
Frankly, that sounds like a bumper sticker.

WILLIE
Look at the data. What did you observe?

CENSCIE
I saw that the wiring had been ripped out and the machine destroyed.

WILLIE
Yes. And then?

CENSCIE
You went over and healed the machine.

WILLIE
And then?

CENSCIE
You entered the master code and started everything up.

WILLIE
So, you have observed the data. Where do you start your analysis?

CENSCIE
How did you do it? Is this some kind of test? Are you and he in this together to drive me mad? Did he fake the destruction? Did you know the code all along?

WILLIE
Excellent scientific questions. Continue.

CENSCIE
What if you are both here to punish me?

WILLIE
Punish you? For what? What have you done?

CENSCIE
Nothing. How do I know that you aren’t working together? How do I know this isn’t some elaborate test?

WILLIE
That is an excellent question. How can you know?

CENSCIE
I don’t know.

WILLIE
Can you take my word?

CENSCIE
Maybe.

WILLIE
Then you certainly have it.

CENSCIE
I still feel lost. This is all so strange and unlikely.

WILLIE
If you just trust your spirit to believe, and have faith, you will find that true reality can be comforting.


CENSCIE
You are a strange man. Who are you?

WILLIE
I’m the final prophet of God Almighty. I was sent here specifically to save you, I think.

CENSCIE
I don’t need saving. I was doing fine before you two came in here and ruined everything.

WILLIE
Hmm. Perhaps you should examine your life like you examine scientific data? Have you ever done anything that you felt was wrong? What do you need to repent for?

CENSCIE
I have no regrets. Except getting in here with the two of you!

WILLIE
I see.

CENSCIE
Do you? You shouldn’t be here. I have nothing to be forgiven for, I am supposed to be here.

WILLIE
Do you remember Mrs. Eleanor Bradshaw? Primary Sunday School teacher? You had perfect attendance.

CENSCIE
How do you even know that? That was a long time ago. I liked going to school - even Sunday School. What of it?

WILLIE
Did you learn anything?

CENSCIE
Of course, I was a model student.

WILLIE
But, did you believe it? Or were you just playing church?

CENSCIE
I believed. I was young. A child. The stories were fascinating and it was easy to go along with everything. Get baptized, first communion, all of it. When I was a child, I just accepted everything as truth and fact. And I believed.

WILLIE
Are you so much wiser now?

CENSCIE
Yes. Much wiser now.

WILLIE
So the simple fact that you had no education allowed you to believe and have true faith?

CENSCIE
I suppose. Once I learned how to discern truth, I was able to stop believing the old nonsense and start seeing the world as it really is.

WILLIE
But, you can’t explain what has happened here today. In fact, you can’t even BEGIN to explain these events, in spite of all your knowledge and science.

CENSCIE
Okay.

WILLIE
So, in light of new evidence, your education is failing you? Let me ask you this: do you feel that the world has gotten more or less scientifically sound? Are more people acting with true righteousness, or less?

CENSCIE
It looks like less.

WILLIE
In spite of the fact that we know that as a planet we cannot survive without working together and respecting each other? Doesn’t the data show that?

CENSCIE
Yes, I would agree to that.

WILLIE
For our world to advance and survive we need civility and faith. We need to believe in each other, even when it seems unlikely and anti-factual. We need to all work together. Agreed?

CENSCIE
Well, that makes some sense. But is it too simple?

WILLIE
Some of the greatest truths ever discovered were actually quite simple.

CENSCIE
Maybe so.

WILLIE
I believe that I was sent by God to come specifically to you. I believe that God knows that your honest pursuit of truth in science would lead you, ultimately, to an understanding of the miraculous in the world. I believe that you would have discovered a way to prove miracles and faith, however, because of our current situation, you have run out of time. God believes in you, Censcie, and wants to grant you grace and peace. We must expedite your salvation. Do you have the faith to follow?

CENSCIE
This is a lot to accept. You don’t really know me, what I’ve done. I’m still not entirely convinced that there even IS a God. But, if there is a God, I don’t think that God can forgive me. I don’t think that I deserve that.

WILLIE
God grants grace. You DO deserve that.

CENSCIE
I don’t think so. I don’t believe so. Maybe once upon a time, but no longer.

WILLIE
Even though you’ve seen a miracle take place right before you? Do you need another event, something to prove that God grants you grace and salvation?

CENSCIE
I don’t know. I’m not sure I need anything or that anything can get me to believe with any clarity. I think I want to believe again, like when I was young, but I think I might be too far past that now. You seem to be a nice guy and I appreciate everything. But I feel like this is all a bad nightmare and not reality. I’m going to wake up and the alarm will sound and Dr. Rosen and I will enter the pod and all will be as planned. No miracle, no strangers, no problems. Just everything going according to the plan. This isn’t science, this is some dream world.

WILLIE
Or this is the real world. You just don’t understand it yet.

CENSCIE
It’s been a long day. I can’t figure any of this out. If the data shows that the world is contaminated, we won’t get out of here for a while. I have barely begun to live. I haven’t been on a date. I’ve not married, had kids, done anything with my life. This is not what was supposed to happen. Why would God allow this to happen to me?

WILLIE
If we have arrived at the end of the world – this could be your final chance to receive the gift of eternal life.


CENSCIE
Eternal life? You mean heaven?

WILLIE
Of course.

CENSCIE
What if I don’t get to go there?

WILLIE
You have been granted grace. You are going there.

CENSCIE
How do you know?

WILLIE
I am the final prophet of God, remember?

CENSCIE
Right. It’s just that I haven’t had very much to do with church. When I was little, yes. But once I got into my teens, I just left. I had no interest. I was seeing strong scientific proofs in every part of my life except that one. Faith just seemed less believable and less acceptable. I studied and read the experts, but it wasn’t scientific. It wasn’t logical. It seemed self-serving and it felt like it was all just to raise money and power. Church just felt wrong. The science lab felt right. So, as the final prophet, can you tell the future?

WILLIE
Prophets can provide Oracles of Judgement, which explain that the Lord God will judge the world and there will be consequences to unrighteousness and sin. Prophets also provide Oracles of Salvation, which let the people know how they can be saved from the final cost of sinfulness.
Prophets do not predict the future.

CENSCIE
Do you think that I can be saved?

WILLIE
I do.

CENSCIE
You don’t know what I have done. You have no idea who I am. I don’t think I can be saved.

WILLIE
I do.

CENSCIE
Are you a drunk? A wino? Some kind of schizophrenic?

WILLIE
I am many things at many times. I have been a drunk, a wino, a soldier, a teacher, a worker, a sinner, a leader. But now, for this present moment, I am the Final Prophet of God.

CENSCIE
I’ve never met a prophet of God. I’m not sure I can believe it.

WILLIE
The machine. The wiring. The Code.

CENSCIE
Right. All of that. I don’t understand how you did all of that. You say I must have faith. I guess I do since I let you try to heal the machine. Maybe I can have faith that what you are saying is true. Maybe. Still, I don’t believe that I can be forgiven and saved. You don’t know me. You don’t know what I’ve done. Faith won’t change what I’ve done. I can believe in an almighty God, but I cannot believe I would be forgiven. There’s no chance. There’s no way.

WILLIE
You and I are together and able to talk like this. It’s for a reason. For you to be saved. Have faith in this. It’s all true. Simply admit your sin and ask for forgiveness and grace. It’s simple and it’s difficult.

CENSCIE
I think you better bring him back around. He’s been unconscious for a while. Why don’t you go over there and let me handle him? He’s going to be pretty angry and confused.

WILLIE
OK. Let me know if you need me. And think about what we’ve discussed.

(WILLIE goes back to his corner, slowly HUNTER wakes up. He is, as expected, angry and confused)

HUNTER
Wha? Grrr. Where? Hey! You hit me!

CENSCIE
Yes, I’m sorry about that. You attacked me. I needed time to work on things. You’ll be ok. Sit up slowly and take your time.

HUNTER
Grrrrr. That was a heck of a punch! We’re still stuck here?

CENSCIE
Yes, for now. I’m. I’m sorry I was so short with you before. I hope you will forgive me for that.

HUNTER
Grrrr. Okay, I guess. I could see you had a lot of pressure there, so…. Hey! You got that machine running again. Way to go! How did you do that? I ripped all the wiring out.

CENSCIE
Don’t ask. It’s a miracle.



HUNTER
Sure, okay. Why don’t you come sit over here and relax. The machine is doing its thing and we can just take it easy and wait. Ok? Really, we can just sit. I won’t hurt you. Obviously.

CENSCIE
I’m sorry I hit you. You frightened me. I was afraid we would never get out of here or get the machine to work. I misjudged you, I think. I should have been nicer and I should not have called you stupid.

HUNTER
Ahh, it’s no problem. Why don’t we both sit down and talk? Get to know each other better? C’mon! Here, have some horrible church wine.

(they sit together on the cot and drink)

See? That’s nice. What made you want to work in a place like this?
CENSCIE
Well, I studied epidemic forensics at the University. I started working here right after graduation a few months ago. The data gathering machines are still pretty new to me. And you? What do you do?

HUNTER
I build nests for people to live in. So. If you don’t mind me asking - have you dated much in your life?

CENSCIE
Ha. No. Not at all. I’ve always just studied hard and worked on data collecting and analyzing.

HUNTER
Seems a shame, someone smart and pretty like you. It’s hot in here. Take off your coat. C’mon, relax, I’m not a bad guy.


CENSCIE
(she relaxes and takes off the lab coat)

Yes, you do seem nice.

(HUNTER puts his hand on her knee and kisses her - his hand slides upward)

Oh! I guess it’s okay.

(HUNTER pushes her down on her back and moves his hand up her skirt all the way)

Wait. No. Please, don’t. I don’t want to do this. Please. Stop!

(CENSCIE removes herself and comes downstage center - lights on her)

This must be penance for what I’ve done, my payment for the grace. I deserve this. You see, I’m in love with Dr. Bob. He’s older and he didn’t pay much attention to me - except professionally. He often told me that I was a worthy associate and research aide for his big project. But, I suppose not a love object. He never saw me that way. Oh, but I saw him that way. I dreamed of being with him alone for months in this very place. So…I…cloned the virus. Lot’s of times. And spread it. At the airport, the bus station, all over the city. Everywhere I could think of. So, you see? I caused this catastrophe to happen. Just so he and I would finally be alone here? Do you understand? I wore my prettiest dress under my lab coat - for him. I caused the end of the world, for him, that’s my sin. And now I have to pay the price. I was foolish and wrong just to get his affection. I can’t be forgiven. I ended the world. I only…

(CENSCIE returns to climb under HUNTER, legs around his waist and skirt pulled up)

NO! OH God!

(Willie arises from his heap, with a large shard of glass from the broken wine bottle in his hand and moves quickly to the cot. He stabs HUNTER 2 or 3 times in the back and side.)

HUNTER
What the … ?? Hey!

(HUNTER rises and turns toward WILLIE, WILLIE stabs him again with the glass and twists it. HUNTER falls)

WILLIE
The Lord God says “The evil that men do will be judged and payment will be made. Sinfulness can only be forgiven by grace and repentance.” We all need His divine mercy. Now is the time for you to repent.

(CENSCIE kneels before WILLIE)

CENSCIE
I repent! I believe! Please, forgive me! Great God, Lord Creator! Forgive me for my sins! I repent! I repent! I r
epent! Please, grant me Your grace! Please!

(there is a loud buzz and the door at stage center opens to reveal a very bright light from outside)

WILLIE
Stand, my child. You have been forgiven. Your repentance is true and the Lord God Creator has granted you His grace and His forgiveness. Sinners are saved only through Him. Come, daughter. Let us walk together into the light of the everlasting. Salvation is now ours.

(They link arms and walk out the door.)

END
© Copyright 2023 Jim Binz (jimbinz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302523-LOCKDOWN