*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302978-Long-After-Humans
Rated: E · Short Story · Nature · #2302978
A post-human world
Once a bustling center for learning and a depository for knowledge, the great hall is now empty. Devoid of human life for some time, Nature has begun its reclamation of the space that was originally hers. Grass begins to push through the long neglected floors of the library, pushing through with a determined mind to carpet the marble that is now laid to waste. Ivy goes encircles the majestic columns, its greenery flourishing in the sunlight shining through the forgotten and dirty windows. The desks are covered in greenery that has forced its way through. No one has used them in quite a long time.

Books line the rows as a silent army, weathered and worn. They wait eternally for someone to pull them from the shelves, but their wait is in vain. No one will ever again come for them - to glean the pent up knowledge bound within their covers. How long humans have been gone is a mystery. Why they've gone is another. But they are indeed gone, never to return. The silence of Nature is deafening as she overtakes this spot. This building is being transformed, from a library inhabited by people to a botanical garden - free of human interaction. It has taken a lot of time, for humans were determined on making the building a permanent structure - devoid of Nature in any way. This is a lesson that will never be learned by the now-absent humans. Nature will not be stopped. Slowed down, definitely, but never stopped.


WC 251

Short Shots Image Prompt (August 2023).
© Copyright 2023 AmyJo- only 2 steps behind - (ajar0627 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2302978-Long-After-Humans