*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303444-Driving
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2303444
Flash Fiction
Driving

Not a happy driver. I only got my license because there was no choice. I needed to get a job and a way to get to it. Small town, no busses except school busses. I needed to drive.

I took Driver’s Education twice while in high school. I did great on the book part; it was the actual driving the car part that I kept failing. Not failing by being bad at it either, failing by quitting because I did not want to drive a car. But life goes on. I had to drive a car or give up food and a roof over my head. (Or continue to live with my parents forever…)

Unfortunately, it’s a trap. You start driving to where you need to be, carefully. After a while you realize that eighty three percent of the other drivers on the road are jerks. You watch, and avoid their jerky-ness for years, and then… finally, you get fed up. Suddenly you find yourself wanting to make them suffer.

Tailgaters are the biggest jerks. I don’t know their thoughts but it seems like they think if they get close enough, you will speed up. I began my driving life by just pulling over and letting them go by, but the anger was building. Eventually I started slowing down. I know! Rotten of me! But still, who wants a car’s nose right up your tailpipe. The drivers didn’t seem to mind irritating the heck out of me, I just finally decided to pay it back. Oh, and add washing my front window! That’s fun, the water squirts up, over my car and splashes all over their front window! It’s icing on the cake.

Yes, I am still not a happy driver, but, actually, I am getting much better at it…
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303444-Driving