*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303638-The-Walk
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2303638
Flash Fiction
The Walk

“Hello!!” came a voice from behind.

We were on a park sidewalk; I wasn’t too nervous. She was probably someone trying to find the parking lot where she left her car. It can get very confusing if you lose track of which path you’re on. I walk here daily, and have for years, so I pretty much know the way back to everywhere now.

I turned to find a woman about my age waving her hat, so I stopped. “Hello?” I added, so she would know I knew she had spoken.

“I don’t believe it!” she said. “I didn’t recognize you!” she added, confusing me completely.

“I don’t seem to…” I started, but she cut me off, excited!

“It’s been years! Do you still live around here?” she asked, then failed to stop talking long enough for me to answer. “I was so lost! But I recognize that tree. I’m sure my car is parked next to it. I can’t believe I actually met up with you, Sandra! Haven’t seen you since high school! Good gravy, eons ago! How are you? You must know I married Alex Fritz. Goodness, he was no catch in high school time, but he blossomed nicely in college. Where did you end up?”

I began to speak but, once again, was cut off, “A bee! Oh, I am so allergic to bees! I told Alex, but he insisted they never sting unless they’re agitated,” she said, rolling her eyes. “Oh! Another one, gotta scoot!” off she scurried.

I watched her go, being followed by the bees I might add, goodness, I was so glad! I can’t handle that kind of talking energy! I like quiet. Plus, it wouldn’t have worked out anyway. My name is not Sandra, and I only moved here six years ago.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303638-The-Walk