*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303488-Alice--WC-297
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2303488
A day in the life.
Alice
WC 298


What did I do today?

Well...I scooped up my car keys from the basket on the laundry room counter and headed for the garage. I pushed the opener button, and the garage door went up, its creaky hinges announcing its ascent.

And there she was, my Alice, nose pointing toward the street, ready to take me wherever I wanted. I slid across her bench seat, placed my purse on the passenger side, and fastened my seatbelt.

I turned the key. “Click, click.”

I turned the key again. “Click, click.”

I got out and lifted the hood, not knowing what to do…but AAA would.

That’s when I remembered: I don't drive anymore.

I had pleaded with my son last month not to tow my ‘58 Chevy away when my shortcomings became glaring.

“I won't drive, I promise,” I said, crossing my heart. “I just want to know Alice is here.”

Oh, my gosh! The road trips we took when my sweet Bernie was alive; the memories…

You know it's a trap, a con. Life is.

You fly out of the womb screaming, learn to crawl, walk, cut some teeth, run, talk… Say ‘Mama’ and everyone jumps for joy.

Life just barrels along at breakneck speed. Children are born; husbands die.

And, before you know it, old age is holding you hostage. A trap. A con.

I digress. Sorry.

So, that’s my day so far. However, I do need toilet paper; I had best get a move on.

First, I need to pee. It’s a four-block walk; my bladder is usually good for two. Then I’ll slide my purse strap over my shoulder, get on my trusty walker, Alice Junior, and head for Safeway.

You’re welcome to join me if you can keep up.

© Copyright 2023 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2303488-Alice--WC-297